1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

emachine computer..

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by duboy1, Nov 1, 2004.

1. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

first off, i heard emachines were bad. I recently got one for free that is 1ghz, 20 gb,-128 ram(upgraded to 384), celeron processor. I was just wondering why it is slow sometimes and fast others. This may be a dumb question but i am just asking becuase by grandpas comp is a 1.2 celeron from compaq with about the same stuff in it and works great all the time with no troubles. This one gives me speed troubles and takes a while to start up. There are barely any programs on it by the way, at least none which make performance decrease. So anybody have an explanation or way to improve speed for the comp? Thanks!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

was software already installed on computer or did you load fresh & what version windows

3. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

i formatted, then reloaded windows xp because beforehand the computer was running slow and would work well so my uncle gave it to me to do waht i could cause he got a new dell. But the programs i put onto it should not affect it becuase i have em on all the others and they dont affect them. Thanks!

4. ddp

check in bios to see if cpu cache enabled, also is ide cable ata33(40wires) or 66(80wires)

5. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Actually emachines are made bt Gateway.
    I have an emachine T2825 2800 AMD athelon chip with a 120gb HD and a gig of ram and it kicks ass.

maybe add more ram

6. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

ddp (Junior Member) 1. November 2004 @ 15:44
    check in bios to see if cpu cache enabled, also is ide cable ata33(40wires) or 66(80wires)

how do i do this?.. thanks!... also.. mine is a T1115 emachine.

7. ddp

check with manual first but if you restart computer hold the del button or the f1 button should get you into the bios. as for the cables just remove cover locate ide cable to hd & count the number of wires not pins on the cable, if 40 is ata33 if 80 is ata66/100. one of the reasons for the bad reputation of emachine is the power supply, it is underpowered & you can't get a new one easily like a clone machine as the physical size is 1/2 the size of clone ps but you can put all the parts except ps into a clone case no problem

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  8. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

well i checked the cables- my hard drive is on an 80 wire ide and my dvd drive is on a 40 wire ide. As for the cpu cache, whenever i get into the setup, how do i check it? and what you mean underpowered? i cant put another power supply in?

9. ddp

can't change power supply unless they had redigned case recently. look at the emachine powersupply size & look at a clone computer ps size, will see difference. check cpu fan is running right

10. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

ok. Will do. Just how do you check the CPU cache to see if it is enabled? I couldnt find it in the startup procedure you gave me? Could you give it to me more detailed pleasE? Thanks!

11. ddp

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  12. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

ok, i got into, and i had before, just i see nowhere it shows to enable/disable cpu cache? where is this located? Thanks!

13. ddp

on some motherboards you can disable the cache but you'll have to check the manual to see if it has that capabilities. i can't check as i don't have manual. i worked on one computer not emachine was p1-233mhz ran like a p1-100 no cache enabled & couldn't be enabled as wasn't in bios & no bios update

14. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

ok thanks!.. just look in the manual then under bios.. then enable cpu cache or somewhere around that.. Will check in the morning. Thanks again!

15. ddp

you welcome. working on a p4-1.7 celeron. advance settings in bios you can enable/disable l2 cache, might be same on yours than might not