1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emergency and Disaster Preparedness (and Official CB Radio Thread)

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Auslander, Feb 9, 2006.

1. ireland

ireland Active member

Auslander heres ye problem

Stanford 'Net addict' study

p2pnet.net News:- Researchers at America's Stanford University have come up with another study which says spending too much time online can seriously affect your mental health.

Do you feel queasy if you can't surf at will? Is checking your email frequently an essential part of your day? If you can't cruise your favourite blogs, do you feel something's gone wrong?

In other words, are you a Net Addict?

"Compulsive use of the Internet may be a serious condition along the lines of substance abuse and impulse-control disorders, U.S. researchers say," according to The Globe & Mail.

In a study aimed at, "helping sort out the debate about whether problematic Internet use merits a medical diagnosis," Stanford University researchers say more than one in eight Americans, "showed at least one possible sign of problematic Internet use," says the story.

"We often focus on how wonderful the Internet is - how simple and efficient it can make things," it has lead author Dr Elias Aboujaoude saying, "But we need to consider the fact that it creates real problems for a subset of people."

He also said a small but growing number of people are now starting to visit doctors to seek help, says The Globe & Mail, also noting that the "compulsive drive" to check email, make blog entries or visit chat rooms, "isn't that different from what people who suffer from substance abuse or impulse-control disorders experience".

Psychologist and computer engineer Kenneth Woog of San Clemente welcomed the study, saying too little research has been done on the problem, according to the San Jose Mercury News, going on:

"Woog, who specializes in treating teenagers, is most worried about massive multiplayer online games. One such game, EverQuest, is referred to by many players as 'Evercrack,' because of its addictive nature, he said.

"Some games 'are deliberately designed to be addicting,' Woog said. 'They're very compelling. You do something and get a reward. With enough rewards, you start to feel good about yourself. And you're part of a team of people on a common quest.' Because games operate on a 'subscription' model of sales, the most addicting games are the most lucrative for companies, he said.

"Other therapists say they also increasingly see youths with unhealthy gaming habits, who neglect schoolwork and sports for online games."

However, the study isn't saying anything new. Concerns about Net abuse have been around for years and this May, Canada's Dr Diane Wieland said some five to 10 percent of Net users have problem compulsions.

"Just like all addictions, it takes you in a direction that you don't want to go," she stated. "It's slow moving at first and all of a sudden it takes over. It's probably very subtle, but people who are antisocial would be most vulnerable to this form of addiction."
    Auslander
    Wieland also worked up a set of questions peope who are worried about their surfing habits can use as a check-list.

Among them are:

* How often do you find that you stay online longer than you intended?
    * How often do you neglect household chores to spend more time online?
    * How often do you prefer the excitement of the Internet to intimacy in your relationship?
    * How often do you form new relationships with fellow online users?
    * How often do others in your life complain to you about the amount of time you spend online?
    * How often do your grades or school work suffer because of the amount of time you spend online?

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

yeah, i'm definitely a net addict ^.^

3. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

lol...Im half a net addict

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

have you taken any emergency preparedness measures, PAN5Y?

5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

CBs and Ham(?) radios were all the rage when I was a kid. People got addicted to them as one does with video games or the internet. Never tried it myself though.

6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

it's the only way i get through my drive home...it should keep me happy on my 10 1/2 hour drive to my girlfriend's house this thanksgiving...and the 10 1/2 hours back...1300 mile round trip..

7. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

I have Not yet yaken the emergency preparedness measures..

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  8. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

oh, the things i could teach you...^.^

*edit*
    my floormates are watching the Cards game and being so loud...i want to bug out...right after people-hunting...

9. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

Teach me....Auslander

10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

lmao, you'd have to be here. most things you have to learn by doing, not reading.

11. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

[bold]*EDIT* BY PAN5Y...i still need a lot 2 learn [/bold]

12. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

sounds nerdy to say it, but the Boys Scouts were really important in the development of my skills. lot of military veterans there, and many were quite sharp.

13. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

Really in my eyes its not nerdy to learn something new even if its boy scouts its kool Aus.

14. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

*shrugs* a lot of people criticize the boy scouts. sure, there's a lot of people there on power trips, or with emotional disorders...one guy i'm pretty sure was a pedophile...but the smart kids survive, learn what they need, and get the heck out. it took me ten years to get that status. ^.^

15. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

Boy scouts arnt bad people there made fun of beacuse the way they dress..Which is not kool to judge people by the way they dress and i was a boy scout when i was i think 6 years old that was a long time ago..lol

16. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

oh, people made fun of what i wore in school...then i started wearing a trenchcoat and describing ways i could disable people when they criticized me. generally, i received blank faces and the mocking would stop very quickly. survival instincts 1, morons 0.

17. NINVIN21

NINVIN21 Regular member

hello, I found this thread a little to late,
    I been into CB radios for years now and I leaned alot and made alot of friends threw the hobbie, If you need more help let me no,
    With your setup at the most you could reach is about 8 miles car to car.
    you need to put some fire in that wire.

anyways if you need more help let me know there is also a couple good forums out there just for cb radios,
    Good luck have fun with it

18. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

well, i plan on replacing my current antenna with the Firestik fiberglass antenna and the mount i listed a few posts up...what do you think my range may be then?

19. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

that was my first fight someone made funny of me when i was six because i was in boy scouts...The little boys made fun of the way i dress boy they learned there lesson at the end of the day...lol

what about you aus. what did u do ignore them or what??

20. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i'll leave it at i was tortured mentally and physically by my peers in my youth...and it's a big reason i tend to be as cold and uncaring about fellow humans' lives as i am today. i've adapted to ensure my own survival.

i suppose, in the end, i just left it all and have become almost a social hermit. but before that, i fought back with brains, with malicious pranks, and with my fists. i tended to win all the way around, but it was like for every jackass i brought down, two more took his place.

i guess, if a psychologist were to analyze me, he/she might say that part of my preparedness is subconscious hoping for a massive blite on humanity, so that some of the idiots might perish. it's fun being able to stand back and analyze yourself. ^.^