1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emergency and Disaster Preparedness (and Official CB Radio Thread)

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Auslander, Feb 9, 2006.

1. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

In case of a world-wide nuclear conflict, I'm afraid that the survivors would be worse off than those killed instantly.

And those with fallout shelters and food wouldn't have it long, due to the roving, starving gangs armed to the teeth. IMHO

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

kiko64: your first post as well, eh? i'm liking AD today. ^.^

garmoon: it would seem very much like a Mad Max world. i don't fear it, as i'm not afraid of ending the lives of others to allow for the continued survival of myself and those i care about. i feel very prepared, at least when it comes to knowledge and will, for the coming anarchy, and i have wished for it many times in hopes that something better might rise from the ashes.

due to my limited facilities here at college, i haven't been able to stockpile or make preparations beyond what's in my car. however, as soon as i'm in possession of property in a nice, rural, deserted area with a superior strategic position, my real preparations will begin.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

kiko64, post edited

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

was that a rulebreaker link, ddp?

5. DaynaWh

DaynaWh Member

I could easily survive an extreme attack; i.e. nuclear, meteor crash, etc. I can live without my cell phone, satellite TV, cars, etc., I can hunt, fish, start a fire and basically live off the land; I CAN'T live without my internet. I learn too much from it. lol

6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

the sad thing is that after a disaster, no matter how prepared you are, odds are you're still going to have to fight someone for supplies/equipment, whether you're trying to acquire some or only defend your own. weapons and training for them will be necessities to survival as much as the ability to hunt and scavenge.

the funny thing about the internet is that it will probably be the only communication left, after radios. think about it--it's everywhere, non-centralized. it would allow the communication and aid of survivors in australia to those in canada or any other variety of places. and it's so damn big. the satellites that transmit much of the data are solar-powered and can survive a long while unmaintained. a lot of communications will be down, and a lot of sites will be, but i just don't see the internet gone.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

advertising a site. you guys forgot 1 thing that is bad for electronics & that is an emp from a high atmosphere nuke blast.

8. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

about the only thing you can do to protect your stuff from that is leave it off and unplugged until after the blasts or build a Faraday box around your precious gizmos.

9. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Well I hope you stock up on plenty gasoline and a generator, 'cause there isn't going to be much electricity around for all those internets, phones or much else electric. And it takes a lot of gas to keep those things running. Yup you're going to be pretty much on your own, if a mega-disaster strikes. I suspect food and arms and medicine would be the best things to have stockpiled. And as Auslander said I would have no problem blowing away anyone threatening my family's well being either.

10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i plan on wiring and moderately concealing some solar panels.

11. Polyarny

Polyarny Regular member

somehow i think all those solar panels would be found and destroyed, or so gunked up from being hidden that they woild be useless. and somethings that are unplugged and turned off when an EMP hits would still be damaged, depends on what it was. anyway why would you need the internet, radios can do the job just as well, and its not like youd be buying anything off of the internet or anything like that, it would be useless.

12. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

13. okokyea

okokyea Member

to be sure the radio must be well grounded and shilded its much easer to have back up, an old tube radio which is much more likly to
    get through a magnetic pulse then a, after (roswell 47) transistor radio even well shilded radios that are transitorized may not work after pulse but the old tube radios will keep on working like the energizer bunny i have a tranocanic that is ready to go when everyones transitor radio is junk! be nice to your local ham radio operator he may be your only means to talk to anyone after Korea goes postal!

14. kiko64

kiko64 Member

Hey, I apologies if i brake the rules..Im brand new here....
    Just try to help...

15. Polyarny

Polyarny Regular member

with what...?

anyway my dad is the local ham radio operator, and some of his friends, and, im proficcient enough to run the radio in an emergency, so im all good in that respect.

16. ireland

ireland Active member

hello,hello i can not hear ye,please speak up...

[​IMG]

17. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

jesus talks to me on my CB...

18. ireland

ireland Active member

Auslander
    the last guy that said that is hanging around

[​IMG]

19. Polyarny

Polyarny Regular member

no he isnt lieing, ive heard him before too. its really creepy and weird, he keeps saying something about the end of the world...

20. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

with a mexican accent, too.