1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emergency and Disaster Preparedness (and Official CB Radio Thread)

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Auslander, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i went there over thanksgiving, both south county and the one in manchester...both were drained, man. not worth it.

2. Polyarny

Polyarny Regular member

well duh, it was after thanksgiving. they usually have some cool stuff there. we may have to try again later after christmas.

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

all right, sounds good.

first snow of the season here today...something like 2-3 inches.

being the first snow, i decided to do a little rough weather training in my car. i went out in the worst of it to gas up and see how sideways i could get my car and still regain control. empty parking lots and a deserted section of city street/highway worked well, and i learned a little bit more about my car's handling. i realize i should get new tires soon, but i should be able to make it through the winter. the temp was arouns 10F and the car performed exceedingly well.

every single time i get behind the wheel, i'm grateful for my subaru. and everything i keep in the trunk.

i also tested out my gear; my leather jacket (the present from gerry1, i remind you all) served me well, though the addition of a long sleeved shirt below 20 F would be a good idea. my navy-issue knit cap is near waterproof, as are my leather work-boots. my driving gloves, unbelievably, have an excellent insulatory value.

pushing myself to various physical acts last night (30F, heavy rain) and today, i've found i can run about half a mile, flat out, before the cold, wet, and clothing begin to effect my breathing; i can push myself several times that distance before feeling tired or beginning to sweat. i'm still physically prepared, but i need to spend more time at the gym. i haven't been able to lately, and this annoys me.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

well, all the Zombie Attack thread i feel to be strongly relevent to this topic, so have i cross-posted there and place a link to this thread, as i am now placing a link to it here. i'll also copy my post, as i think it might be of some use:

5. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Your "Furriness" seems to be the only one who wants to train for the coming conflagration! We all seem to be content to sit, mindlessly, in front of our monitors. We're all gonna show up at your place when it happens! LMAO

Do a short dissertation on why this is so!

6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

thank you for breaking up my monologue!

a dissertation isn't even required! it's because everyone is one ore more of the following: unbelieving in any future events, uninterested in making survival preparations, or incredibly lazy ^.~

on think i need to pick up is some potassium iodide tablets.

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

well, after the 15 inches of snow that got my classes canceled on friday, i decided to venture out and get some pics for you all.

yesterday, i went to dig my car out and successfully got it about 1 1/2 lengths out of the spot. i'm good in up to 8 inches of snow, but it was over the license plates on my car, so i had to give. i put it back in the spot and waited.

today, i went to warm it up and get some pictures. they had cleared the parking lot except of ice, and here's what greated me:
    [​IMG]
    they had pushed the snow from around my car but left it in front! no matter, fun would ensue.

i started it up to let the engine warm as i got a few more photos.
    [​IMG]
    underneath the 6-20 inches of snow piled everywhere was about 1 solid inch of ice. that made for fun walking there, i'll tell ya what.

to give you an idea of what is on me at all times, here's my trunk:
    [​IMG]
    it doesn't look it, but i still have a great amount of room in there. all the gear adds about 100 pounds to the weight of my car. i'll go into detail about what's there if you ask.

here's my vacated spot
    [​IMG]
    it may not look it, but basically i rammed a 3 foot mound of snow. that was a lot of fun. a small crowd gathered to see what a subaru with nearly bald tires can do. i got out, then spun around the upper parking lot a bit before heading back to a more clear space.

here she is shut off
    [​IMG]
    i have two females i love in my life: the girlfriend and the subaru. both are very female. :p

if you looked behind my car, you see where they piled the snow that was plowed. here's a better view:
    [​IMG]
    damn.

walking back, i saw other poor souls.
    [​IMG]
    those are cars there. under all that white stuff.

continuing on my walk, i saw some relatively undisturbed snow.
    [​IMG]
    i thought it was prettyful.

nearing my building, i got a shot for you all.
    [​IMG]
    Aus surviving at 4F. scary, eh? yeah, that's the jacket gerry1 sent me. it does the job, even at 0 degrees. :)

8. DeadRain

DeadRain Regular member

what's really scary is that cold hard look, it could kill ages 2-8...

9. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

with the hair down, people say i look like charlie manson. and jesus. :)

yes, those are saddlbags in my trunk. they're easily slung over the shoulder, and i like that when i have to move. a backpack didn't suit my needs, as i have a hard time finding on durable enough.

10. corn

corn Guest

My dad gets 30 mile radius without a Linear Amp.
    =O

11. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

for context, corn and i were talking on AIM about cb radios, to which he is referring, all.

12. flynn123

flynn123 Member

well it looks like your well kitted up aus, 1 question whats the paint roller for?

13. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

oh, that. that's not a paint roller, it's a lint roller. good thing to have, especially when disposing of evidence. :)

14. DeadRain

DeadRain Regular member

you would know all about that,wouldn't you? lol

15. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i wouldn't say "all about that", but "a good bit about that," yeah. ^.~

16. DeadRain

DeadRain Regular member

17. escalante

escalante Regular member

So in case of emergencies always look for Auslander, right?

It's a bit off topic here but when you go to "My Account", the amount of posts it says you have there, it also includes Safety Valve posts?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  18. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i guess that should be the basic rule for all afterdawners. however, how many of you think you can actually find me once i go into hiding?

19. escalante

escalante Regular member

So where will you be hiding? Where's your bunker? Do you have enough supplies for both of us? Or is all of that a secret?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  20. DeadRain

DeadRain Regular member

he's hiding because he's scared of the zombie outbreak.