1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EMPREX

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by no2isgood, Aug 13, 2004.

1. no2isgood

no2isgood Guest

i have a Dual Emprex 8x, now a friend of mine has a norcent 8x, he copies dvds in 18min it takes me 1h 30min. why is this??? i already did the live updates for emprex and dvd burns fine, but it just takes forever. im also useing dvdxcopy platinum if that makes any difference.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

3. no2isgood

no2isgood Guest

im at work right now, but when i get home i will try it, i remember changeing something that had to do with DMA but i will double check, just in case it is on what else could the problem be? thanks

4. Nephilim

Well, once we know whether DMA is enabled or not we can go from from there :)

5. no2isgood

no2isgood Guest

ya i enabled it, and when i rip a dvd that doesnt need to be compressed then it takes 28min, but if it needs compression then it takes 1h 30min. any suggestions??

6. Nephilim

For the single layer disc is the 28 min just for the rip?

Most DVD burners are limited to a 2X rip speed for DVD videos so 28 minutes for a single layer disc is about right at a 2X read speed.

When a film needs to be compressed it will take a lot longer of course and the actual amount of time it takes is heavily dependant on your processor speed and the amount of RAM that you have.

7. no2isgood

no2isgood Guest

ohhh really, very interesting. yea it takes 28 min to burn it onto a dvd-r. but the inital coping (putting the dvd inside) takes a long time like you said because it need to be compressed. right now im useing a somewhat junky computer, 800mhz 256mb of ram, 120gig HD, now i guess i just have to wait. well if i want it to be like 30 min to copy what computer upgrades would you suggest?

8. Nephilim

Oh, Lordy! That's about the bare minimum specs to even be able to do it reliably.

To upgrade your current PC it'll depend on your motherboard/chipset. Once you figure those out you can set about figuring out the fastest CPU and the most RAM you can stuff in it - those are the two critical components to encoding a DVD.

Now don't set your expectations too high because from the sound of it your system is quite dated and your upgrade options are going to be fairly limited in terms of speed gained.

If you have a standard ATX case that will allow you to swap motherboards you have the potential to speed things up quite a bit for not too much $$. If this option interests you, try our Other PC Hardware section. Start a thread with your current PC specs, why you want to upgrade and a we'll give you some thoughts, options and price ranges :)