1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

empty program appears and disappears on taskbar

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by getshot05, Dec 8, 2005.

1. getshot05

getshot05 Member

Recently I've been noticing that a program with no title has been appearing and disappearing on my taskbar. It appears for about 3 seconds and then disappears. It occurs about every 15 minutes. I've tried scanning using McAfee and tried using Adaware but the program still appears. Do you guys know any solutions? Thx.

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Download CCleaner to get rid of the cookies and temporary files ! http://www.ccleaner.com/

Then download Ewido to scan your Pc --:- http://www.ewido.net/en/

it is fully functionnal for first 14 days.

=====================================================

Restart your Pc while holding the F8 key till you get to the Safe Mode Window --- select Safe Mode up top !

Run first CCleaner ... then run Ewido Full Scan , when it finds the first malware put a tick at the bottom of the window [Perform action with all infections]and click Ok to continue....let it run to the end !!

=====================================================

Reboot to normal Windows ! you should be clean !

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2005
  3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

also run the issuses in ccleaner til no more issuses found.

4. -kemisti-

-kemisti- Active member

5. getshot05

getshot05 Member

CCcleaner and Ewido didn't work. I tried using escan, but how do you delete the viruses and spyware that it detected? And are there any other solutions to fix this problem?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

7. -kemisti-

-kemisti- Active member

That version of eScan, which is in this link -> http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/267270, deletes all viruses/trojans and also finds ad/spyware. It finds more malware than ad-aware, spybot and avg together.

Also, a HiJackThis-log would be very useful. Instructions ->http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/263784 (steps 3 and 4).

8. getshot05

getshot05 Member

It still appears, but not as frequently as it did before. I tried all 7 of those programs that were listed, one right after the other, and it still hasn't stopped it completely. Any other solutions? Thx.

9. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

try examining your startup, look at all of the directories the files are pointing to and check whether they are programs you have knowledge of installing or not, do the same with the add remove programs...

if there is something rong there then you have to manualy delete all of the files associated with the program otherwise they wind up re-installing themselves...

it is hard to explain but if you need further assistance doing this operation pm me and i will guide you through step by step...

10. -kemisti-

-kemisti- Active member

@getshot05: Send here a HiJackThis-log. Instructions ->http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/263784 (steps 3 and 4).

11. rav009

rav009 Active member

man i have had almost the exact same problem, how i fixed it simple and efective.

start>run>mscongfig>start up tab, then i spotted a dodgey program in the start up and i disabled it after that i had no problems.
    oh yeh and AVG deemed it a trojan,other programs call then different things but only after i disabled it from start up a scan with AVG free found it, this should work, it worked for me this way.
    i think nothing will find it untill you disable it from start up even though thats stupid, but try this way.
    if it is not sorted this way i have a few more ideas.

you probaly have sorted it now anyway seeing i am very late but if not ask back here.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  12. spertti

spertti Active member

Hijackthis, which -kemisti- suggested would propably be the best idea at the moment. Just send the log and we´ll analyze it. Don´t try to fix anything on your own with that program.

EDIT: Yep propably too late.... Didn´t look at the date at all =)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  13. getshot05

getshot05 Member

I don't really know whether I fixed it or not. It sometimes pops up and then at other times it doesn't. I tried the startup thing in msconfig. I unchecked a program which had no name or command. I think thats it, because at startup the empty program doesn't appear, but at other times it does. Rav009: what was the program that you disabled? What was the name of it? And you said you gotta other suggestions. What are they? Thx.

14. -kemisti-

-kemisti- Active member

@getshot05:

Post a HiJackThis-log. Instructions ->http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/263784 (steps 3 and 4).

15. rav009

rav009 Active member

well the program i disabled also had a blank under the start up item, i caught it from a e mail from my friends infected computer i think.

well now you have disbled it from start up, you say it still pops up now and again, is it running at the time,check your task manager for a exe. that is blank, theres a few things it could be so i think its best is you post your Hi jack this log in here so it can be anaylsed and we can see whats goin on.
    im sure its nothing to worry about most likey its going to be a stupid thing like i had.

and can i just add when i had this problem i took out my cable modem and waited 10 mins, then i put it back in and then i recived many alerts from zone alarm pro that exe. is trying to acces the internet so i denied it access, i still saw the icon though but i assumed it couldnt do much, i think i was a bit wrong there as this trojan was allowing massive amounts of spyware into my computer that were constantly being blocked by microsoft anti spyware, i had to run ad aware every few hour to clean out all theese spywares that microsoft anti spyware missed, (this was before i knew about ewido)

For now please send in the Hijack this log, so it can be anaylsed, as i said yes i do have a few more ideas on how to get rid of it but youll have to post your Hjt log.

16. getshot05

getshot05 Member

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  17. spertti

spertti Active member

Send the whole log. There´s pretty much just the start.....

18. V-kos

V-kos Regular member

19. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

@ getshot05

Before you uncheck any program why not try this to see EXACTLY what the program is that is popping up on your taskbar. First get this free program called filemon.exe at the link below:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml

When you run this program in the background, you will see exactly what is running on your PC at EXACTLY what time and when you finally see this pop-up again, go the filemon which will be running in the background and you can look at what it is, where it is, and from there decide to either remove it, adjust it, etc.

One other thing, when you use msconfig and see what programs are in the start menu, before you uncheck them, do a search online with the name of that file and see what information you find on the program. Many are listed as unknown but when you do a search you will find that they are essential for your PC’s setup. And remember that everyone has a different setup so different programs might be essential for one but not for the other.

When you use filemon.exe and you find out what the program is that is popping up, be sure and let us know. :)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2005
  20. V-kos

V-kos Regular member

Im not very good at english, so I didn't write the hole story to my previous post.

I used to have this problem too:
    http://keskustelu.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/180391 <-Finnish only.

Disapeling this program >hpcmpmgr.exe< from the startup you can get rid off it. My computer runs just fine and also little bit faster without that program. Also my HP printer and camera etc. works normally. There is somekind of HP:s own fix for this problem, but I don't know where to find it and I have heard that its not working probelly.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2005