1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emulate CD-R

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by cpunks, Aug 30, 2004.

1. cpunks

cpunks Guest

For some reason I can't reply to the already started thread. Sorry about repeating the question here.

The original question asks how to emulate a CD-R drive. I'm running into the same problem: I have a Sony Vaio which has a "Recovery Wizard" for backing up. However, when I launch it it expects you to have [bold]nine[/bold] blank CD-Rs available. I back up pretty regularly and rather continuously rewrite CD-RW's, I'd rather back up to a remote HDD.

I've used tried DiskJuggler and it doesn't seem to have what I'm looking for. Are there any recommendations for a Virtual CD-R/W out there? Something that can be written to by something other than the CD-R emulating software?

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

What operating system are you currently running?Exactly what do you backup? Personally I think it's a waste of time to backup "windows" data. In the past I used several backup programs and when I went to recover, none of them even worked! If using WinXP you do have the "system restore" feature. As far as any "vurtual" drive to backup, you must understand there has to be data, and that data must be in the form of some type of "image" (iso, bin& cue).If you just wan't to backup "data" then I personally recommend a exteranl USB 2.0 hd m8, that's what I do :)Another option would be to purchase a dvd burner which stores about 4.3-4.6 gigs of date on 1 blank dvd+\-r.
    Go to Newegg.com for pricing as I do know you can get a Lite-ON 12x dvd burner (retail) for 75.00 USA dollars.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]MSI KT6V-LSR MS-7021
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (OC'd to 3200+)
    1 Gig Corsair XMS PC3200 (OC'd DDR 400)
    MSI MS Starforce nVidia GeForce FX5500(256 DDR)
    Maxtor ATA\133 200 gig
    Lite-ON LTD165H DVD-ROM
    Lite-ON LDW411S DVD-Burner[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2004
  3. cpunks

cpunks Guest

Thank you for the response.
    The OS is windows XP Home.
    I'm aware of the delivered backup functionality of XP if you're on pro. I'm trying to use the one Sony delivers. (I agree w/ the whole back-up principle, btw, but you deal with what you're given.)
    Essentially, what I'm looking to do is to point a program that prompts me to "put a CD-R in the drive" to a virtual drive so the files get written to the disk somewhere. Nero doesn't work because it mounts existing .iso files. At this point, there is no .iso file.

Thanks again.

4. cpunks

cpunks Guest

Ignore duplicates. Sorry.

5. cpunks

cpunks Guest

Ignore duplicates. Sorry.