1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enabling English Subs

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by kayhaytha, Jun 22, 2012.

1. kayhaytha

kayhaytha Member

The Subtitle feature of a mkv movie in my hard disk has 3 options – Disable, English, Mandarin. However, whenever I burn the movie it always does so with the ‘Disable’ option on. Therefore when I play it on my Samsung BD-D5100 Blu Ray Player and press the ‘Subtitle’ button, the message on the screen always says ‘Disabled’. I am unable to enable the English subtitles on the TV screen – although I could do so in my Computer when playing with VLC Player. Can someone please advise me as to how I could burn this file with the English subtitles enabled ? Thanks in advance.

2. kayhaytha

kayhaytha Member

Any suggestions ?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  3. gonwk

gonwk Member

Hi Kayhaytha,

Just out of curiosity do you burn the MKV file just as the Original file or do you convert it to AVI or DVD format?

I assume you are burning these MKV files on DVDs ... why are you wasting so many DVD's ... just keep them on your Hard Drive, may be a portable one and invest in something like WDTV Media Player ...

OK, if you don't want to do that for now ... then use a program called MKVToolNix v5.6.0.

1) Open your MKV file in this program, you will see various Tracks in the middle window (pane) ...

2) Highlight the Track that says TEXT ... when playing back on your VLC ... it should tell you Which Track is English ... Track 1 or 2 or ...

3) Then go to "Default Track Flag" option and use the Drop-Down Menu for it and Choose YES ...

4) Push "Start Muxing" button and let it do it's thing. It will Create a New File with the same name with (1) on the end ...

Use this file see if it fixes your problem.

Please post back your results for the next person.

Thanks!

G!:)