1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

encode avi file to mpeg plus adding subititles from Vobsub

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Vegetto, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Vegetto

Vegetto Member

I was wondering I recently downloaded these episodes. Ok you need Vobsub to show the subtitles. I was wondering is it possible to encode the subtitles into the movie so after im done encoding it. The mpeg will show the subtitles in them. SO when I burn it, it will show the subtitles when I watch it in my movie player.

I have seen your guides on how to add subtitles to movie but I havent seen where you actually encode them in their so you dont need Vobsub running. Is their a encoding program or something I can do this? If how so?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

I believe there might be a way to encode the File useing Tmpgenc and Vob sub but I have never done it ,The only way I have done it was useing Virtual-Dub with the Subtitle Plugin to Frameserve the AVI file and .SSA Subtitles to Tmpgenc so it can encode them to Mpeg for VCD or SVCD...If you have a SRT subtitle File you will have to convert it to a SSA File useing a Program called "Sub Station Alfa"...Here is a Guide on how it is Done :
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/subsvirtual.htm
    But there might be an easier way useing VobSub or some other Program it"s Just that subtitles aren"t my Specialty...Good Luck...Cheers

3. Vegetto

Vegetto Member

OK I found a guide but I stil have a problem in the
    Divx video to Vcd format with vob subs.
    This is what they tell you to do but

Add the subtitles
    Go to Video menu and select Filters. This opens up a window that lists all the filters you've applied to process your video -- it should be empty at this point. Click Add and you see a list of available filters -- select VobSub and click OK.

this is what they tell you to do but i cant find the vobsub thing and when i go to load it I cant find it either what should I do?

4. Vegetto

Vegetto Member

Now programs opens a new window that allows you to select the .ifo file that is normally bundled with the subtitle package -- select the file using Open. After you've selected the file, you can alter the subtitle settings, like color, transparency and possibly the language you wish to use. After you've made your selections, click OK.

I figured out my problem on my recent message but now I cant figure out this problem I cant find the file its talking about the .ifo file

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

IFO files are a Part of a DVD"s File Structure and have nothing to do with AVI files so since you are working with an AVI file I don"t think it is going to work...
    Sory I can not help much here but as I said Subtitles aren"t my specialty...Good Luck

6. Vegetto

Vegetto Member