1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

encode to mp3pro

Discussion in 'Audio' started by diablo, Dec 24, 2004.

1. diablo

diablo Guest

i hear mp3pro has better quality. if i encode mp3's to mp3pro then burn to cd , will the cd have a better sound quality

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

absolutely.... not :)
    both are lossy encoding. losyy to losyy will equals crap.
    if it was from an audio cd that would be a different matter.

anyway mp3pro is crap. its for low bitrate encoding, and even with that it can't beat vorbis.

i would suggest stay with the original mp3s. and if you're ripping use lame mp3 encoder.

3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Only if your burning software supports Mp3Pro. Mp3Pro has almost no support. There are very few media players that take advantage of its ability to make standard Mp3s sound better at low bit-rates. What you get is an Mp3Pro file that plays and burns to CDs but not with any of the enhanced features. I believe that MusePack is the best sounding audio format. But it too suffers from lack of support (though it does have a very good DS filter available).

Yes, the better the sound file (the higher the bit-rate and the higher the sample-rate) the better your CD tracks will be (to a point). Stick with Mp3. Use the LAME 3.96.1 encoder/DLL package and a variable bit-rate (VBR) scheme to create high caliber Mp3s.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2004
  4. diablo

diablo Guest

so if i take a tune with 128 bitrate and encode it to 192 or higher does the sound quality get better or worse? should i burn the mp3's to a cd just the way they are or is there anything i can do to improve cd quality?

thanks

5. Karim1988

Karim1988 Member

no there is no way u can improve the sound. when u make a lower bitrate higher it stays the same as the old bitrate. it will say ur bitrate is highr but what ur really hearin is the first layer bitrate. if u decrease the quality it will get worse tho. tryin to make it better will just add another layer and make the file size bigger. keep it at 128kbps and burn. no u cant improve the sound of a cd. u can enhance the sound of a cd tho but it takes time and too much work. u can add DFX effects to it by rippin ur cd (i reccomend 192kbps), startin winamp with the dfx plugin loaded, select which DFX enhancement u want, open up Super Mp3 Recorder Professional and click record, then click play on the winamp. it will convert the song with DFX effects as it plays. pretty neat huh? u can also increase the speed of ur audio in windows media player and record that too. but remember it takes too long to do this because ir records while playing.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2004
  6. diablo

diablo Guest

does super mp3 recoder pro pick up any electrical sounds from the computer?
    does the DFX Plugin act like an equalizer?
    so there is a way to better CD Quality?

7. shiroh

shiroh Guest

my bad, i thought the one asking the question was answering it.
    eh, diablo and diabolos... ;)

to better cd quality ?
    yes and no.
    yes if you get SACD/DVD Audio
    no if its mp3 or cd

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Actual if you take (lets say) an Mp3 file encoded at 128 then try to make another Mp3 form that Mp3, encoding at 192, the result will be a file that is worse than the first. This happens because the encoder will try to compress what has already been compressed. It will apply the same lossy format style hack and slash to the file resulting in a file that sounds horrible, (it may have sound gliches, volume differences, ...ect) most noticeably after encoding with a constant bit-rate scheme (CBR).

The best way to maintain the sound quality of the original file is to create a Wave or Lossless (Flac, Monkeys Audio, ...) file from the original then convert the Wave or Lossless file to somthing else (Mp3, WMA, MusePack, ...). Then you wouldn't have any quality-loss, but the quality of the second (lossy) file could only be as good as the original Mp3 file (at 128 kbps).

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2004
  9. diablo

diablo Guest

so convert the original mp3's to a wav and then burn the wav's file to cd? is that my best option to better my cd?

thanks

10. Karim1988

Karim1988 Member

diabolos ur smarter than me u expalin it. lol

11. shiroh

shiroh Guest

let me made this clear.
    cd quality > mp3 quality.

cd = PCM (think of wav)
    mp3 = compressed (you throw away those things that you can't hear)

once you throw those info away there's no getting it back
    even no matter how high the bitrate.

so there is no way to get a mp3 to be better in quality than a cd you bought from a record store. even though you decode the mp3 to wav. the wav you decode will sound like the mp3 no better than that.