1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

encoding 2 movies at once with clonedvd?

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by big_d_63, Jul 10, 2007.

1. big_d_63

big_d_63 Member

Has anyone tried this? I have a 2.4ghz processor w/ 2gb of ram. Will it make them skip?

2. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

it will not work, the program will only handle one movie at a time no matter what kind of system you have

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2007
  3. 321obbig

321obbig Member

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It would be interesting to try with a Dual Core system but with a single core system nothing would be gained by it. Most transcoders use a lion's share of one's system's CPU cycles. Since you have a single core system that is probably not hyper threaded, your CPU can only process effectively one thread at a time. To try two separate encodes at the same time would probably result in you CPU oscillating between the two. The end result is that two simultaneous attempts at transcoding a movie might even take more than twice as long as do each individually.

I don't think that it would necessarily cause skips since transcoding doesn't require a constant rate at which to encode. Back in the day when I still used trancoders I often used my PC for other purposes at the same time such as surfing the web or browsing through forums and posting with no ill effect. All that it did was slow the rate of the encode. Now it would be interesting to try two separate movies on a dual core system to see if each attempt would work on its own core.

5. monteca

monteca Regular member

2.4 ghz core 2duo 4m l2 cache, 4gb of ddr800

4 discs at the same time with clone dvd and the longest took me 23 minutes (it was a season) I did use different hard drives for each temp folder and a 5 drive to write the images to. there was absolutely no slow down in my machine

6. freedom2

freedom2 Regular member

don't know why anyone would want to do that anyway

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Provide some screen shots for reference!

8. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

ya sounds kinda windy to me, and the reason you did this was just to say that you could? will i guess you are the queen! and all the backups for you and your buds?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  9. monteca

monteca Regular member

i did it after this tread was made just to see if it would totally screw my system. sophocles wrote it would be interesting to see with a dual core system....i had a killer setup so i decided to try.

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

monteca

I too have a killer core 2 duo system, an E6700@3.6 GHz, and being the naturally lazy individual that I've grown to be, I thought that a screenshot by you would put things in perspective. My comment is not meant to be a disparaging request aimed at debunking your claims in any way, and my apology if it was taken as such. I just like to see results in a visual form. Whenever I post a measured result of some kind I always include a supporting screenshot to support it.

Note: This is not a challenge either.;)

11. monteca

monteca Regular member

my post was for rdmercer1 not you....when i get time to run it again ill post some screen shots....or since you have a killer system you could always try to and post your results!

12. zebadee

zebadee Regular member

Hi ;-)
    CloneDVD2 will only run one rip/compression at a time.
    But you can have CloneDVD2 running in multiple mode.
    Even using one HD, just create a seperate temp folder(s) for the other programs to send files to.
    Quite why you would want to do this is beyond me.
    Although I know some-one will say because I can.:)
    N.B. I have done this with topend singlecore - two was a struggle.
    dualcore midrange with somewhat ease.
    Quadcore lowend two was a breeze, & no I didn't take it further. It was a test for the CPUs & little more.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

monteca

I never use CloneDVD.

But I do in fact post results! Only just for those that I actually use!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. monteca

monteca Regular member

[​IMG]

4 at Once

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  15. monteca

monteca Regular member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

monteca

No one doubted your success at running 4 encodes at once, it was your mentioned time of completion that raised doubts in the minds of others, and I see nothing indicated in your screen shot that disputes that skepticism.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  17. monteca

monteca Regular member

oh ok.....the reason i posted them all going at once was because i could fake all of them finishing by just running them one at a time and leaving the results on screen...i wanted to show all them going...ill run it again and post all finished with times

18. zebadee

zebadee Regular member

Hi ;-)
    monteca I am sorry there are so many distrusting souls here.
    I for one not only believe you but know it can be done (even with only one HardDrive!).
    The time seems right too. As a single operation takes arond 8 mins for me on average (& rarely longer than 10).
    An operation that takes 8 mins for single, would be around 11mins for two, 18 mins for three & 28 mins for four.
    These times are based on my experiences with my setup.
    N.B. I have in real terms 4x WD 250GB HDs, but in practice only one. Raided 0+1 + 500GB. So destinations are folders & not HD's.

19. monteca

monteca Regular member

I know my times were right...if you look at me screen shot it shows the remaining time and that the processes were all just started

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It isn't a question of distrust but rather one of verification. I've made many claims on AD over the years and I've always included evidence to back them up.

Suppose someone comes along and states that he ran six transcodes at once in 20 minutes. Do we just buy into it without question? I neither believe nor doubt Monteca's claims, because I have no way of knowing whether they are true or exagerated. Also note that some DVD's will transcode much quicker than others because they contain fewer frames. They might be over 8 gigs in size but having fewer total frames is going to see a much faster transcode. I do however believe that he ran four instances at once, but since I never use transcoders such as Clone DVD, I have no way of gauging completion times short of running the experiment on my own.

monteca

You have a right not to respond to any challenges made on you, but I also believe that others have an equal right to make those challenges.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007