1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

encoding 3 diffrents AVI movies to 1 dvd

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by esakal, Mar 20, 2005.

1. esakal

esakal Member

Hello,

i have 3 diffrent movies that i would like to add to 1 dvd.

[bold]Movies information:[/bold]
    they are all AVI
    around 800MB,
    25 fps, 720 x 576

Duration sum of the three : 4:20:00

When i tried following the below tutorial, i gave up since, encoding each movie in tmpgEnc takes around 8 hours !?!

http://members.shaw.ca/videojunk/avi2dvd.htm

After reading threads in this form, i saw that WinAvi should handles Batch files. So i downloaded the program and tried. When i converted the 3 movies, each one took around 5GB (and not all of them together).

Can i instruct WinAvi to encode them in a way they will fit 1 disk?

how Can i do so? with which program?

Many Thanks,
    Eran.

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Sorry, I never used WinAVI. By the way, even TMPGenc works with batch files (see from the [/bold] Save the first CD's project [/bold] part of http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd2svcd_with_tmpgenc.cfm ).
    But 8 hrs seems a bit too long; are you making VCD movies or not? I'm afraid VCD is to less for that AVI (which has a resolution similar to a DVD, even if their 'nominal' resolution seems too much for such small - 800 MB - movies) and more than VCD movie won't make all movie fit into a DVD).
    You have to choose: a) reduce their resolution at least to SVCD (approx 1.6 GB per movie) and put many movies on a DVD (since the compresstion of a 720x576 movie into a 800 MB AVI will have already surely spoiled some quality) or b) keep them DVD-like and put one movie per DVD.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  3. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

8 hrs is about right, for the settings in that guide.
    It WILL retain the most quality you can expect from an avi though.
    You can cut the time down a LOT by changing the Motion Search Estimate, and choosing one pass CQ-VBR instead of 2 pass VBR.