1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encoding a sample clip with DVD-RB?

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by mo24, Sep 27, 2005.

1. mo24

mo24 Member

I figured a good place for me to start would be to try out DVD-RB's various options, and maybe some of the different encoders, to learn and decide which options created the best results.

I clipped out a sample from the main movie, 1 min/20mb file, with no compression, using DVD-Shrink. I then loaded it into DVD-RB, hit prepare, but when I try to encode it with HC, the program crashes. I guess it doesn't want to encode a 20mb file to DVD-5 when it's already small enough by a long shot...

Compressing a small clip is easy in DVD-Shrink, just pick start-stop points, and set the custom compression %. Is there any way to do this same procedure in DVD-RB to test sample clips?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2005
  2. brobear

brobear Guest

You don't need RB to do clips and that isn't what the program was intended for. It encodes full length movies, using supported encoders and transcoders (one at a time), to fit the DVD5 format. If you want to do a trial, try encoding a DVD, larger than 4.37 GB, and see how it comes out. RB isn't an editing tool, so it can't be compared to programs like Shrink or DVDRemake. However, the Pro version gives options starting with movie only to full backup.

You don't compress small clips, you simply copy them. Compression doesn't take place with Shrink until the content is greater than 4.37GB, the content of a DVD5, commonly referred to as a 4.7GB disc.

Shrink has been known for a long time to be a multi purpose tool and a decent freeware tool. RB is a specialized tool meant for creating high quality backups, especially at higher compression levels. Even with the "Quality Settings" in use, Shrink doesn't rival the quality of RB using CCE or the HC encoder. Also, I've noticed the time involved using Shrink with the "Quality Settings" is close to that of RB/CCE. So, Shrink doesn't have the quality and if used without the "Quality Settings" to improve transcode times, it isn't even in the ball park.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Just to help you along with your trials, don't try using the CCE Basic trial version. It times out and won't work. For trial purposes the CCE SP trial works. You just end up with a video output with a logo on it. The trial shows the high quality of the video output, but the annoying logo means you don't get movies you'd want to keep. CCE Basic retail is the program of choice for many who use RB. It costs about $59. Works like the SP trial, only doesn't have some of the SP options and not the $2000 pricetag that goes with SP. The free HC encoder, that comes with RB, rivals the CCE, but is takes longer for the encodes. The popularity of the other supported encoders dips quickly after CCE and HC. You can give your own opinion once you give them a try.