1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encoding Divx SMOOTHLY?? For Archos Play

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by nhsmdh, Feb 19, 2005.

1. nhsmdh

nhsmdh Guest

Hello -

I'm new to the forum and there seems to be experts with Video Encoding for the Archos AV480 here.

I'm having 2 problems I'm hoping someone can help me.

I'd like to rip DVDs and encode them to DIVX with a high quality/resolution/frame rate... mainly for viewing on a larger screen from the Archos AV out.

I downloaded DVD Decrypter and ripped DVDs flawlessly. I then downloaded both AutoGK and Dr.Divx because I heard good things about both.

I am able to encode to DIVX perfectly with high resolution and perfect synch (via MP3 CB4 128 rate as suggested).

However, the motion is not fluid... it seems almost robotic. Frame rate is shown to be 30FPS and I usually will set a 15 minute chapter (from a music DVD) to be around 500MB in size and 640 X 480. What are the best settings for shorter video clips (between 20-60 minutes)?

What can I do to ensure the motion of the video to be fluid and not jerky? I know there are other advanced settings that can help... I'm not sure if I'm using them right. I can use Dr. Divx, Auto GK or both.

And lastly, I tried encoding a ripped DVD file of an old Black & White comedy short from 1930s. For some reason, the AutoGk is recognizing the source as a NTSC FILM, defaulting the frame rate to 24 FPS.

I guess if the source is a film, you can not increase the frame rate. Dr.Divx does this as well. Does anyone know a way around this?

Hope you can help. Thanks.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Why would you want to change the framerate? If it is NTSC film then you should encode at 23.976fps. You won't get any extra quality by converting to 29.970fps. The original DVD is actually 23.976fps, it just has 3:2 pulldown flags so that it playsback at 29.970fps.

3. chucken

chucken Member

I have the same problem with XViD files that I'm playing in my Archos, it's very jerky but plays without problem on my computer. What settings should I use in Dr DivX to create a file that Archos can play correctly?