1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encoding More than 1?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Midus, May 9, 2004.

1. Midus

Midus Member

Is it a bad idea to encode more than one avi file to mpeg-1 at once with TMPGenc? Should I leave my computer alone while encoding or can I still surf the net without worrying about messing up my file?

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

surfing the net won't use much of the cpu power, so you're ok.

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

That depends on your PC...If you have a slow PC like under 2.0ghz you can"t do anything while Encodeing because Encodeing takes up 100% of your PC"s resources and especially with Tmpgenc doing things on your PC while encodeing can sometimes cause your PC to Freeze up or cause Tmpgenc to Error out which will cause you to loose what you have encoded....
    I couldn"t even surf the web and encode on my 2.5ghz P-4 but I recently upgraded the Motherboard to Dual Chanell DDR and now I can surf the web a Bit but it is slow going.....I guess you should just try it and see if you can do it without causeing problems, Or you can try useing a Faster encoder so you don"t have to wait as Long to encode your Movies..Something like MainConcept encoder is 3 to 5 times as fast as Tmpgenc and if you set it up correctly the quality is as good as Tmpgenc or even better or if you are more advanced you can try CinemaCraft Encoder SP it is the fastest encoder on the Market and the best quality for Mpeg2 files especially at Low bitrates but is it difficult to use unless you know how to frameserve useing AVISynth or Virtual-Dub....Cheers