1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

encoding my AVI in NERO takes to long!

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by BaBuPoo, Mar 11, 2003.

1. BaBuPoo

BaBuPoo Guest

I downloaded some AVI movies from the web and tried to burn a VCD ont he first attempt it took 1 hour and 40 minutes on a 800 mhz computer with 512mb of ram. then each one i tried after that took an average of 8 hours so i tried my other computer a 1.3 ghz 128mb ram it took 10 hours to encode the file the first time then nero froze b4 it burned and did the same afterwards.. i checked to see how much of the processor was being used and it said 100% which is way to much... what is wrong? what can i do?

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Never use nero for encoding because it does a terrible job at it!! Use TMPGEnc to encode it.

With TMPGEnc, you can easily click file - project wizard and create a new vcd! VCD is MPEG-1 so the quality isnt great but for the first 30 days you can encode mpeg-2 (svcd) which will have much higher quality than vcd but will take its time. You can also buy TMPGEnc plus from the pegasys inc website http://www.pegasys-inc.net for about $50 for a download which is very good for an encoder capable of mpeg-2 encoding. You can also get the free version of TMPGEnc from http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/tmpgenc.cfm

3. BaBuPoo

BaBuPoo Guest

I did as u said and downloaded the trial version i selected on of my AVI's to encode and a message cam up saying it can not open the file or it is unsupported what do i do now????

4. Dela

Most likely have a file with audio compression. Now you need to get VirtualDUB - http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/virtualdub.cfm

open the avi in it and do the following

1. click video - direct stream copy
    2. click audio - full processing mode
    3. click audio - compression, select no compression pcm and click ok
    4. click file - save avi

now open the avi you saved in TMPGEnc!

5. BaBuPoo

BaBuPoo Guest

Well i tried to open the video file in virtual dub and got this message. Could'nt Locate decompressor for format "mp43" (high speed Mpeg-4 v3) the majority of my vidoe files when tried came up with that message with on exception then a message like this came up. This AVI file dosen't have a movie data block (movi) this is very frustrating please help. and thanks for your help so far

6. Dela

7. BaBuPoo

BaBuPoo Guest

well i installed it liek us aid and virtual dub is still sending me the same message so now what do i do? that codec should have solved my problem right? thanks again for all ur help

8. Dela

mpeg-4 ver 3 thats strange i must admit now!! I thought that would fix that right up for you!!!