1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

encoding passion of the christ with divx

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by tuffstuff, Sep 1, 2004.

1. tuffstuff

tuffstuff Guest

hi i just bought my copy of "passion" and i want to back it up, but when ever i try i get a narrative overdub. i left common and english subtitles as well as language in lattin and english and tried no subtitles and just english as the language. i used dvd shrink to get the vob files. does anyone know how to get it right? like at the movies with jsut the subtitles?

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Use GordianKnot and its built-in DVDDecrypter, or you can use SmartRipper 2.41 and demux all the audio streams to separate files.
    Then you can listen to them and find what you want (they mis-label them, they're tricksey)
    GKnot does subtitles too...
    Curious, how does DVD Shrink help you encode DivX?
    Regards

3. roneughar

roneughar Guest

I have tried it twice and get the same problem you have. Still trying to solve the problem.

4. tuffstuff

tuffstuff Guest

i use it to get the vob files.............. i will try this smart ripper
    thanks

5. roneughar

roneughar Guest

I'm new to this. What is GordianKnot?

6. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Ahhh... yes DVD Shrink will do that...?
    GordianKnot backs up a DVD to 700MB DivX (or XviD) AVI file. This can then be stored on HD, or burned onto a single 80min CD-R.
    All my DVDs (~150) are on a 200GB SATA drive on my server, and can be viewed from any PC on the LAN throughout my home/office.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/gordian_knot.cfm
    Howzit goin' tuffstuff?
    'Passion' is one of those (thankfully rare) disks that is actually a bit of a challenge...
    L8R

7. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Update:
    Doom9 has info on this (and other) DVDs in the announcement of the latest version of DVD Decrypter.
    "ver 3.5.1.0 has been released ... This version effectively beats copy protection mechanism (basically they're corrupt discs) like Sony's ARccOS used on discs like Open Range and The Passion of the Christ."
    FYI it is (of course) available on AD right here-
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm
    L8R

8. imrllybad

imrllybad Member

I've been conversing on the "Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player" forum and just start perusing related forum topics and came upon this. Coincidentally enough, I just finished encoding Passion of the Christ using GKnot as is discussed here. This was the first time that I had ever used the GKnot method ( http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/gordian_knot_ac3.cfm ) and it was a test to see whether the GKnot method solve my problem. See forum "Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player" pages 4-6 for more info. I won't go into my problem here since you can read about it there. Anyways, the GKnot method worked flawless for me. You do have to know which audio track and subtitle to use ahead time; good suggestion by The_OGS.

On my DVD, there were 3 audio tracks: 1-Latin (the movie); 2-Latin (forgot what this was); 3-English (narrative overdub). Obviously, I could only use 1-latin and the english subtitle. The GKnot method uses VobSub to extract the subtitle:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/gordian_knot_ac3_page_3.cfm
    The weird step is that GKnot hases you RAR the *.sub. I don't know why it requires this or how it works but having these 3 files (movie.avi movie.idx and movie.rar) in the same folder makes my ac3 DivX with subs work great. When the subs are ripped, you get these two files *.idx & *.sub. I used winrar to rar the *.sub to movie.rar.