1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

encoding speed-Xvid

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by salar86, Aug 15, 2004.

1. salar86

salar86 Member

i use DVD2Avi/Avisynth(w/Mpeg2dec&decomb.dll) and VirDub.
    What speed should i expect while encoding frameserved .VOBs to xvid?(not the movie's fps)Mine is slow, i am currently getting about 12fps. Is that reasonable,Or im doing something wrong?
    (sys it 2ghzAthlon64(3200+) laptop - 512 333mhz ram)/(no post processing filters w/ fast recompress in vdub)

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

one more thing the resolution ? standard 640xXXX ?
    bigger resolution will also slow it down.

i think its quite reasonable, but i think it should be faster...
    on my athlon 2500+ barton and 512 333Mhz ram
    i'll get 9-10fps average, with vaguedenoiser (which is slow), lanczosresize, tweak, colourYUV and Msharpen.

have you benchmark the your laptop and compare it with the referrence ?

did you use decomb ? (telecide), if you do thats perfectly normal speed on such system.

try using dgdecode (another, newer vesion of dvd2avi)
    here
    http://neuron2.net/

i think its at that website.

3. salar86

salar86 Member

thanks a lot for your post, i didn't know that resolution plays a part in the encoding speed. i just thought that with mpeg4 what ever data u have it resizes it to the resolution u chose. I was encoding at 720X404 (tried to maintain the original width and keep it 16:9,720X9/16=405). What resolution should i use to encode faster and not lose quality and aspect ratio?

I actually don't use telecide() anymore because it gave a lot of problems with duplicate frames(tried everything) then i had to decimate() and the video turned out very jerky, with all mode=X,hints,order,guide and other options. So i use a simple plugin which has a simple Decomb() funtion. It works better for me. Any suggestion with this setting?

I tried Dg instead of Dvd2Avi, thats a little faster too at times, thanks for that.

I tried Sisoft Sandra for benchmarking and the results were really bad. I got almost 1/4 of their reference AthlonXp2800+. Mine is Athlon643200+ with better specifications! So I don't know if I should trust the results or even what i should expect from a laptop instead of a desktop; And i dont' know what specifically is bottlenecking the system, since everything including cache and i/o read results where rediculus. Its a Compaq Presario3240, the bois doesn't let me overclock it either so im clueless.

4. shiroh

shiroh Guest

its been a while since i read articles about notebooks, but if i'm right there is this power saving function that will slow down the speed... does the athlon 64 have this ?

telecide (IVTC) works great if the source is not a hybrid source (mix fps, film+digital source)(this is where vfr for matroska comes in :p

and a clean 3:2 pulldown source.
    i use neuron decomb5.2.1. this is highly recommended. less frames means more bitrates per frames.

and of course using some of the xvid function like chroma optimiser etc will slow down porocess.

look for xvid unofficial guide