1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encoding stops halfway through

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by xxDeucexx, Oct 10, 2008.

1. xxDeucexx

xxDeucexx Member

I'm using Tmpgenc Xpress 4.0 and i'm trying to encode a 700MB AVI movie into Mpeg-2 format to burn but the encoding always stops working halfway through the encoding. I just got the tmpgenc program so i don't know much about it but i was following instructions from another website. The encoding stops during the second time through the movie when encoding. I have tried this numerous times and have gotten the same results everytime.

2. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Does it always stop in the same place? Try to use AVS Video Converter.

3. xxDeucexx

xxDeucexx Member

Yes, the encoding always stops at about the same time. The program basically stops right after the first pass.

Regarding the AVS Converter:
    Can the AVS Video Converter convert and keep the high quality picture after it's done? The main reason I was using Tmpgenc Xpress because I thought it was suppose to encode video and keep high quality picture. I was using a program called ConvertXToDVD before but the a lot of quality is lost after I burned the file to the dvd.

4. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

They have a trial for AVS I'm pretty sure. I use it and I love the quality it outputs. If I'm not mistaken, you can select which aspect ratio you want.

5. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Tmpgenc might produce slightly better quality. What size TV are you using?

Some of the highest quality encodes can be achieved for free using HCenc encoder.

This free app does a splendid job.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVStoDVD

6. xxDeucexx

xxDeucexx Member

7. xxDeucexx

xxDeucexx Member

Alright, I downloaded HCenc and tried to encode the file but once again it stops working.

8. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Can you try another computer or if it isn't a confidential file send it to me or another AD user to try to encode?

9. xxDeucexx

xxDeucexx Member

Well... there really will be no need to send the file to you because I'm looking to encode a lot of movies, which is why I wanted to find a good program. I really appreciate what you are willing to do but it's more about finding a program that is good and works than the movie itself.

10. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Encoding is very cpu intensive. You may have a heat issue. Check your temps.
    Then you need to get DVD's. There is nothing out there which will make a 700MB AVI into DVD quality.

11. varnull

varnull Guest

We still don't seem to have got to the bottom of the first pass--stall problem. Could be out of drive space or something else happening.. wrong temp path maybe?.. or another classic I have seen once or twice.. "delete temp files" setting is deleting the files at the end of the first pass instead of waiting until it is all finished.

Could be a broken program.. why not try dvd flick which does exactly the same as this payware. It's free so no harm in trying it before paying out for identical software features.
    Lots of "pirated" software is broken in some way or other.. it's because the crack isn't applied properly or is messing with certain functions which isn't always obvious until you try using it.

I would try playing with files.. say rip a dvd to an avi then treat that to the same process which is failing now.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2008
  12. xxDeucexx

xxDeucexx Member

Actually, ConvertXToDVD did a decent job at converting the files. The picture quality and text on screen was kind of blurry. If ConvertXToDVD can do a decent job at encoding in just an hour, I figured other more professional programs can do a better job. Now I'm sure there isn't a program that can convert a 700MB file into a crisp clear DVD but, if it can sharpen the picture and make a it little more clear than what ConverXToDVD did, I'd be perfectly satisfied.

13. xxDeucexx

xxDeucexx Member

I'm not out of drive space for sure because I still have like 70GB available. As for the temp path, I don't know anything about the temp path, but I do know that "delete temp files" setting is not turned on.

14. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Turn on Delete Temp Files. You will never need those again. Also run a Disk Cleanup and Defragmant. Then try it. If you haven't rebooted in a while (One of those people who think leaving your computer on 24/7 is a nessesity) reboot it.
    Can you post a list of programs you have tried and let us know the results of each one along with your PC Specs (CPU+OS+RAM+Video Card)