1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encoding VHS to DVD with quality

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by grassy, Aug 4, 2003.

1. grassy

grassy Guest

Hello all,

first i would like to apologize for being an absolute noobie. DVDs are hard ;)

Secondly I have a question:

I am trying to take several VHS tapes and convert them to DVDs. The tapes contain several half hour episodes. I first tried to play the entire tape and encode it. This created a giant file (50+ gigs) that I had to chop in half before it was feasible to work with. I have since got that file cut and pasted into the proper 30 min blocks. (One) of the problems I'm having is that the sound is absolutely terrible. There is a underlying staticy hiss over the entire thing and when the voices go high I have massive distortion. Has anybody tried this type of thing before with better luck?

Now thats the "overview" of my problem, here are the nuts and bolts.
    Hardware:
    Video card: Radeon 8500dv
    Processor: Duron 750
    Ram: 386
    Storage: 120gig and a 20gig
    I am encoding at: Video - MPEG-2 720X480 NTSC (525) 8.00 mbit/sec; Audio 48.000 16 bit stero
    I have been reading the guides and faqs here and elsewhere for awhile now but have yet to find someone attempting a project where quality was a greater concern than storage space. I understand that I can never have greater picture and sound than I start with but right now I'm experiencing a significant downgrade in both. These tapes contain stuff that I would like to keep at the best quality possible. Any tips would be useful.

Thanks for your help,
    Jim

2. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

I banged my head over this for two months. I have a slightly faster computer (P4 1.6; 512 RAM) but a lesser video card (ATI Rage Fury Pro.)

As with you; my primary goal was no loss of quality. I tried all kinds of software, even tried a higher end video card, and higher sound card. Being a videophile I still wasn't satisfied.

I went out and bought a Panasonic DMR-E50 stand alone DVD recorder. OK, actually I rented a DMR-E30 first to try it out. Best $800 CDN I ever spent. ($575 US)

I did up a few tapes for a buddy of mine, and he calls me up saying "hey, these DVD's are better than the VHS version." I nodded and said OK, while thinking "bullsh!t." I looked at one and actually noticed it was better. Looking through the user's guide I noticed any analogue signal was passed through a 3 line digital comb filter. So it actually was slightly better quality. Not much, but slightly.

Hope this helps you a bit.

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member