1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encoding VOB from DVD with both NTCS/FILM and interlaced/progressive

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by BobL, Apr 3, 2002.

1. BobL

BobL Member

K.A.,

Just out of curiosity, what kind of DVD player are you using? I know many of the Apex players exhibit the type of problem you described in reading CD-R/CD-RW media, and a simply upgrade to the drive firmware (not the player's firmware, but that on the DVD drive itself) has been known to cure the problems. If you're using an Apex, look into updating this firmware. If you need pointers to links, let me know.

As for the jerkiness, with the ST discs and using FlaskMpeg/BBMpeg, it was "random". Every so often a scene would "jerk", like just part of the motion was cut out, or the player had to "catch up" or something. Many of them, you might not even notice. I was comparing my SVCD to the original, and that's how I spotted them. After using the settings Jari suggested, the jerky motion was constant on any scene with motion, and it was at very regular intervals.

- Bob

2. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be any easy answer. For the most part though, I'm satisfied with the vcds I make. My next burner will be a dvd-burner. (Still a bit pricey yet).

My standalone is a Sanyo DVD-7201. I've heard very good things about the Apex(es), but the next standalone I get will be a dvd changer, Bob, either a Zenith (mixed bag) or preferably a Sony.

A five-disc changer would play my vcds in sequence, one right after the other - so I wouldn't have to get off my lazy a## to swap discs in the middle of a movie. Very annoying, that.

Jari: PCB would probably mean that I wouldn't be able to sequentially play my vcds when I get the new changer mentiond above. When a new disc came 'round, I'd have to press (as you say) the >>| button or something. In practice, my Nero-created vcds are virtually worthless on my Sanyo. Version 2.0 vcds look no better than ver 1.1 vcds for normal playback, and Sony CD-Extreme makes perfectly-playable vcds every time. I should give you a copy, and I will if you want it. Click-&-Burn. That's it. As soon as I press 'play', the vcd loads, initializes, I get the track numbers and timing info right off the bat (just like ordinary music cds), and the disc starts playback pronto. Track numbers are easily accessible, I can fast scan in reverse & forward at 3 different speeds, zoom in and out, advance, back up, automatically repeat each individual track or the *whole* vcd, etc. etc. etc. On the other hand, Nero royally screws my vcds up, and frankly, I don't see why everyone is so enamoured with it. Never tried the paid version (just the demo), but from all accounts, I'd still wind up with a 'PBC' disc whether I liked it or not.

What's the main difference between the demo version and the paid version anyway? I never used the program long enough to figure it out.

I hope that when I can afford my dvd-burner, other different burner software will be available, because I do *not* want 'PBC' controlled dvds!! <gg>

-- KlingonAgent --