1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

enemy at the gates backup

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ivor, Jul 2, 2003.

1. ivor

ivor Guest

help needed. when using shrink to back up disk.there are 2 main movie files of the same size 5.421mb. which one to use as they both appear to contain same version of the movie. checked packaging and it doesnt mention 16:9 and 4:3 versions on same disk.

2. Tosca

Tosca Guest

I've run into something like this. They put two movie files on the disc and from what I can see (quick check) is that they are exactly the same file (same size et al).

My opinion is that this is just a way to "stop" the casual back-upper (or whatever) from copying their discs due to its size, which otherwise would fit neatly onto one disc.

Just check out the two movie files and if they are exactly the same, do a "eeny meeny meiny moe", choose a movie file and cross your fingers. Rip it to HD and check it out first before burning.

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

One is FULL SCREEN & the other is WIDESCREEN (for a fact)

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Problem is playing in PowerDVD wont help you to know which is which , pick one & burn to RW first is my advice

5. ivor

ivor Guest

thanks for the advice. used dvdshrink to create two folders one containing title 1 and the other containing title 2. then used windvd to view folder contents. both folders seemed to contain same movie.(tried locking and unlocking aspect ratio in windvd). anybody backed this movie up yet in 16*9 friendly mode yet.

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

How exactly do two files at 5,421MB get on to a DVD? Is it single sided, dual layered? 11GB DVD's, hmm...I am aware of the 4:3 and widescreen versions on a disc, but i dont think that both files are actually 5,421MN. I believe, that the widescreen file uses the 4:3 data and adds to the edges.

Is there someone who could clarufy this for me. Would be interesting to know!

Chris

7. rob12770

rob12770 Guest

if u used clonedvd this would not be a problem as it has a preview window. :>)

8. ivor

ivor Guest

from what iv'e heard since posting my message is that one file is the movie and the other file is alternate scenes (like follow the rabbit in the matrix.) cannot yet confirm this. now planning to just back full movie up extras and all now and just dump dts track....

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

No, my point was, in some programs they show two files of around 5GB. Obviously that is more than the allowed data on any one side of any disc available. So in sayiong that, i know that one tends to be a 4:3 and another widescreen (or ivor's case, deleted scenes).

My question is this: Is one of those files a dummy file, containing no more than the estra bits of the screen for widescreen version, ie it access the other file for the rest of the movie, or what?

Strange

Chris

10. Tosca

Tosca Guest

I've encountered it twice with non-mainstream stuff that normally will not give you widescreen/full screen choices.

Because of this I never even considered it being wide screen and full screen. I am sure that these I've encountered were dummy files.

Scusi, not dummy files, as I was able to play both successfully on Power DVD XP (I'm pretty sure you can tell whether it is widescreen or full screen on Power DVD XP as the widescreen tends to be rectangular/longer as opposed to full screen/squareish viewing panel). I think they just slapped on the two movie files to foil casual piracy.
    *Shrug*
    I no longer have the original and can't check.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2003
  11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Cheers, it is strange though. Ill do a spereate thread no it, see if anyone can give me some advice

Chris