1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enough is enough, what tool do the pro's use(for divx 6.1)

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by bryanjmcc, Jan 30, 2006.

1. bryanjmcc

bryanjmcc Member

I may be a noob with this wonderful site, but I've been enjoying high quality divx encodes from the internet for year/s. In fact, I downloaded a recent Lost episode which was taged hdtv divx 350 mb, bla bla. The quality was so good, I went out and bought the first season on DVD. Now I want to back them up using my newly paid for Divx 6.1 codec bundle. I cannot find one single program that works the way I know it should work. First off, I can't even configure the codec whithin the new(crappy)converter that came with it. Any program I find that has advanced controls for configuration(WinAVI)will crash almost every time. And when it doesn't crash, there is no video! Bottom line, I want to make the same quality back ups that you can find on a torrent site. I don't care how long the encoding process is, or how much the software costs. Sorry this was so long, but I'm sure alot of you guys out there are in the same boat as me.
    WHAT DO PRO'S USE, AND HOW DO I GET IT!
    Thanks for whoever has the time,
    Bryan

2. bryanjmcc

bryanjmcc Member

One last thing. I'm not married to 6.1 or even divx for that matter. I'm willing listen to the [bold]Pro's[/bold] and "learn the curve" so to speak. I'm open like a book!
    peace and love,
    B

3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Most releases are XviD. Are you sure that it was tagged DivX? All scene releases are XviD. Not exactly professional though, not like they get paid for it.

WinAVI is just crap.

Try AutoGK, FairUse Wizard, AVI.NET or StaxRip.

4. bryanjmcc

bryanjmcc Member

Wow, actually your right, they are almost all Xvid. I'll check out the existing threads for which is better(Divx/Xvid). By Pro I just mean someone who has alot of experience with this. For now, I will definetly check out your suggestions(I assume you like them in that order).I'll let get back to ya later.
    Thanks alot
    B

5. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Think most people agree that XviD is the better MPEG-4 codec. Still if you just forked out money for DivX...

I don't actually use any of the apps that I mentioned. I do things manually.

6. TheM3Guy

TheM3Guy Member

I have a similar problem, I just created an avi with Adobe Premiere using DivX 6.1 and now my media player cannot play it, actually it plays it but with no picture, just sound and tells me:"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." Also when I import the file in Adobre Encore DVD it freezes, but if I try to play it with the nero player it plays fine. Is there something wrong with the DivX6.1 or I am doing something else wrong?
    On my pc I only have DivX 6.1 and XviD installed.

Thanks guys !

7. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Both DivX6 and XviD should be able to decode. The Nero decoder (depending on versions) is limited to Nero apps only.

For XviD you would need to enable DX50 support. The DivX decoder should just work.

8. badwulf

badwulf Guest

I recently tried backing up a season of startrek voyager from dvd to divx6. The first thing I always do is rip with Smartripper2.41 to copy the vob files for each episode to my hard drive. I then use DVD2AVI to get the d2v and ac3 files. Then I run the d2v through VFAPICodec and open that with VirtuaDub and configure the divx6 codec for first pass, and then choose save as avi(batch mode). Then configure the divx codec for second pass or nth pass using divx calculator to get the proper bitrate for the file size with the ac3 audio. This has worked well for me in the past with older tv shows i.e. lost in space, twilight zone, startrek the original series. But for some reason now I'm getting video that wavers at the bottom kinda like if you were playing a vhs tape in a vcr and your tracking is off. Usually at the beginning of the episodes. Maybe I'm not configuring something right? Does anyone know? please help

9. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

First thing you should do is update from DVD2AVI to the latest dgindex. Second thing you should do is stop using VFAPI and start using AVISynth.

10. DaveERG

DaveERG Regular member

IN my opinion I would spend 80bucks (if you can afford it) and purchase a cheap internal dual layer dvd burner. You'll save money, here in canada its usually cheaper to buy dvd-r's than cd-rs

11. JapFreak

JapFreak Member

is there like a guild on here that gives step by steps for all the things u guys just said?
    i mean ive got anime in DVD format that i want to convert to either avi or ogm WITH subtitles. i got dvd2avi and avi2dvd but can some1 tell me how to use dvd2avi?
    i dont get it, and does it encode to OGM as well as avi?

12. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Generally DVD2AVI/DGIndex is just used for creating d2v files, not actual encoding. I would suggest mkv over ogm.

13. JapFreak

JapFreak Member

i see, but cud u explain how to do everyfing. As i was searching the net lots ov people said you had to use more then one program. it wud be helpful if some one cud explain the step for me ^^

14. bryanjmcc

bryanjmcc Member

Hello there,
    I'm the guy that started this thread(before the hijack), and after using almost all available encoders I say that so far Xvid looks better, and AutoGK is the program that worked the best(for me), and way easy to use. I used Star Trek Voyager season 7 episode "The Void" as my test file. Original file size was about 2,000 mb, which was the largest ep. out of the four on my disk. Got it down to 350 mb with the audio reduced to 112 CBR(constant bit-rate)
    Overall quality = 9.1
    Audio Sync = 9.9
    foreground objects = 9.0
    background objects = 8.0
    motion = 8.8
    No chop/stutter = 9.5
    normal view = 9.7
    full screen = 9.0

I wish that AutoGK supported Divx codec 6.1 Pro, but I guess I can wait.
    My X2 dual core 4800, I feel anyway, is made for encoding divx
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2410&p=6
    its a shame to let that power go to waste, so my next question is;
    what converter allows you to set up the divx6.1 codec properties for multi-passes and use the new insane quality mode. The divx converter that came with the codec won't even let me access the properties of the codec(the area where insane mode, bit-rate calc's can be made, so on)Am I missing something, cause even with the new divx update which allows for more user controls, there's still no way I can acces the codec properties??

Thanks celtic_d and others,
    B

15. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Syskin released a patch adding multithreaded support to XviD. Using such a build should help increase the load on your cores. Encoding via VirtualDub makes input and output multithreaded though so one core can handle AVISynth and the other encoding.

I wouldn't recommend CBR audio from a quality perspective. VBR gives better quality.

16. badwulf

badwulf Guest

Bryan, try configuring your divx6.1 through VirtuaDub.
    Video/Compression/Divx6.1
    It has all kinds of settings for the codec. And thanks for the info on AutoGK...sorry bout the hijack...my bad

17. badwulf

badwulf Guest

I just can't get this AutoGK working right. I've installed the latest version and it runs with my vts file, but after it finishes running the first pass it always comes back with this error
    " FastWriteStream: couldn't open"C:\name.avi":The Process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"
    I've tried maybe 20 times or so, even uninstalling and reinstalling several times and also with other older versions of AutoGK. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Is there any solution? Please help!I am using the xvid codec that came with it and am running no other programs in the background while running this one. My OS is windows xp sp2 media center edition.

18. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Sounds like it wants to acces C:\name.avi, but can't because it is locked. Are you able to delete this file? Could be that one of the tools AutoGK uses has locked it, could be XP's buggy thumbnail shell extension, could be something else.

19. bryanjmcc

bryanjmcc Member

Thanks for the audio advice celtic, I will give virtualdub a try too(not sure why I haven't already).

Badwulf,
    sorry about your troubles with autogk, It worked fine for me from the start, suprisingly. It sucks not being able to help out a fellow trekkie.

20. AWDriven

AWDriven Member

I agree with you bryanjmcc. I started using the autoGK a couple of weeks ago and it worked out great for me. I also have DivX 6, and I don't want to reload the spamware 5.1 again to use it. I am just going to convert everything using XviD. Besides, XviD's results look better, but it is just a tad slower.

FYI, for animation XviD blew DivX 6 out of the running.

AWDriven.