1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ePAC Audio Encoding: Whatever happened to it?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by lynx_two, Jun 7, 2002.

1. lynx_two

lynx_two Member

Does anyone know what happened to the ePAC format? This format was developed by Lucent Technologies and liscensed to VedaLabs. VedaLabs developed a trial beta of an ePAC encoder: AudioVeda. This format is THE MOST ADVANCED ENCODING TECHNIQUE I HAVE EVER HEARD!!! It kills MP3 and AAC, as well as putting AC3 (yes, the DVD Audio Format) to shame. At 128 kbps, a .pac file is, truly, PERCEPTIONALLY LOSSLESS! AND, IT ENCODES AT 5x REALTIME!!! I was one of the testers of this new format; I tested it on many different Audiophile systems. 6 Months later, I could no longer find any program anywhere on the Internet that had the capabilities to encode in the ePAC format. ePAC simply vanished off the face of the earth. When I contacted VedaLabs about it, they just beat around the bushes, and refused to give me a straight answer. I have a feeling the format might have been too good. IF ANYONE OUT THERE KNOWS OF SOMETHING TO ENCODE TO THE EPAC FORMAT, LET ME KNOW!! If anyone what's to try and hack the trial version of AudioVeda, email me. It is still on my hardrive.

Thank You all in advance for your help.

Best Regards,
    -Daniel

2. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

Maybe they're experiencing some patent and/or licensing issues they don't want to talk about. (Just a guess).

And at www.sonicspot.com , things are eerie regarding AudioVeda. When I click on their "Product Download Page" link, I get a 'page not found' error.

You can't even buy the $29.95 retail version outright. (AudioVeda 2.0b). And when I click on the Veda Labs link, I eventually get a 'timeout' error message.

Somebody somewhere doesn't want you to have this thing, Dan. <g>

There's a line on the page....."For now, I'd recommend holding off on the download...." (Gee, no kidding. We have no choice BUT to hold off downloading it!)

Good luck in your travels.

-- KlingonAgent --

3. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

ePAC? Is this the same as Lucent PAC? PAC has been for quite a while outperformed by MP3 (LAME).

4. A_Klingon

Haven't got a clue. They sound similar though, don't they?

Lucent PAC <P>erceptual <A>udio <C>oding, was developed by Bell Labs, a division of Lucent.

Heavily patented. (yuk) Requires major licensing. (yuk) Have just teamed up a deal with RealNetworks Real System (triple-yuk).

Don't know if it's the same as 'Audio Veda' - it could be. Maybe they aren't responding to us "little" people, because they want to make major $$$ from it from the 'Big People'. The propaganda for Lucent reads, "At 128 kilobits per second, EPAC offers cd-transparent stereo sound".

(Sure it does, oh yeah......*sure*).

I'm really enjoying my oggie-vorbie-poos, though. 16 full music cds on a single cd-r, (and one of those a double album), all at quality level 4.99. (There's a good reason for choosing 4.99 rather than the simpler "5").

That's in comparison to 9 or 10 cds in .mp3 format, whether my own self-made ones, or as previously downloaded from the now-defunct Napster. And, oh yes, they DO sound better than mp3s.

The system is lossy, yes, but it's very pleasing to the ear, too. Got a question for you, Lasse.

This is the first time I've encountered a codec whose *decode* portion has been 'frozen' or 'strandardized'. That is, the ogg vorbis audio *format* has been carved-in-stone, so to speak. Now, the *encoder* portion of the codec -- well -- that's being constantly worked on, tweaked, tuned, improved, etc. BUT, the ogg vorbis people say that any future improvements in encoder ability will be fully realized by the decoder portion as it NOW exists.

In other words, I don't think the decoder part is being worked on (or needs to be). That means, apparently, that all the ogg-compatible software players that exist - or those which have had plugins written for them, will be perfectly functional for years to come.

Ever heard of this sort of thing? I always thought that a codec was a perfectly complimentary, "push-pull" sort of thing, where each part (encoder and decoder) had to be *perfectly* matched or tuned to each other. Which means, that with every new implementation of encoder, a new decoder (or player, or plug-in) would be required.

Just random thoughts.......

-- Mike The Klingon --

5. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Klingon,

I am not the best person to reply to your question, but I'll try anyway. The format specifies the the way and structure of the coded data. This doesn't mean that format couldn't be further optimized. OGG is mainly tuned for it's psycho acoustics, so this doesn't really affect the format it self.

MP3 encoders have improved quite a bit and still you can use WinPlay3 to play them (the original FhG player)

6. A_Klingon

Gotcha.

Official blurb is, "The bitstream format for Vorbis 1.0 was frozen Monday, May 8th, 2000. All bitstreams encoded since will remail compatible with all future releases of Vorbis."

KOOL ! :)

-- Mike --