1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EPSON Stylus r300 and Windows XP SP2 Problems

Discussion in 'Resource center' started by dbbanner, Oct 2, 2004.

1. tonyb99

tonyb99 Member

You have probably lost the Epson icon on your start menu bar which prevents you from seeing the ink monitor etc. I had the same problem and cured it by removing all of the Epson software from my pc then reinstalling the standard R300 files from the original CD and then installing the R310 driver as described earlier. Everything then worked OK. Whether you want to go through all that again is up to you.

2. suko

suko Member

Thank you for that, tonyb99.
    I emailed Epson support re uninstalling safely the old R300 driver and they sent me instructions but I have a couple of queries about it. When these are resolved, I may try that route. They advise uninstalling the old and then installing the downloaded new American R300 driver,which sounds fine so long as it can be done smoothly.It did not do so for some of the earlier posters here.

3. Ginger123

Ginger123 Member

A very easy solution, much better than replacing drivers and all the potential problems is to use the Epson "Photo Quicker V3.5" program that is supplied on the R300 CD (at least it is in the UK). This bypasses the use of winXP software printing options. It is selected by Start-Programs-Epson photo quicker-Epson photo quicker3.5". Works great.

4. backlite

backlite Member

5. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

Hey,

I have tried to print a .psd file using Photoshop CS2 and an R300.

My prints have started to come out really dark.

I have changed the ICM thing and still dark designs.

I printed off a JPEG with Photoquicker, PERFECT!

But ideally i'd like to use Photoshop to print pictures

I'm using SP2, does the driver work?

Thanks J

6. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

THE DRIVER HAS WORKED!!

I downloaded the non 64-bit XP Driver (5.5 b?) from the epson site. now i have perfect prints from both PHOTOSHOP and OFFICE 03'

strange how photoquicker was good :~{

7. suko

suko Member

Did you remove the previous driver, or just install the newest one over it?

8. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

I don't have a 64 bit XP so i wen for the previous driver :)

9. suko

suko Member

By previous driver, I meant the one supplied on a disk with the printer.
    This is the driver which clashes with SP2.

10. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

just installed the one from the site. didn't delete anything :)

11. excotec

excotec Member

Hi all, Just joined because I am having this problem also. Another problem I have and hoping someone can help me out, I am an American working over here in Germany. I bought the printer on the economy cause it was on sale, problem is it only came with German Laungage software. Anybody know how I can get some English stuff?

Thanks

12. dbbanner

dbbanner Member

13. excotec

excotec Member

I followed th e instructions here using the pictures as a guide and found the ICM button. Works better, not great.

dbbanner-sent you a pm

14. mmoomey

mmoomey Member

ok guys my dad was in the same boat as you with SP2 making the printer pretty much useless. i finally decided to try and get it working after two years of it sitting unused and stumbled across this thread. We got it working by installing that photo quicker 3.5 program but the program is pretty limited and frustrating. im trying to print 4x6 photos with frames but the frames tab wont let me select it. the only way ive found to get around this is to select 4x6N.P. and individually shrink the each picture (to make it smaller than the paper therefore creating borders). if your printing 10 or so pictures you cant make this adjustment just once and have it print them all this way. it will only accept the first photo and do all the others full size.

how can i get this frames tab to work properly?

printing full size works great but when doing this you can look in the printer and see excess ink being printed on the pad. my dad is worried this will start to build up and cause the printer to make bad prints as it ages.

15. cutman

cutman Member

hi there guys, well i have a problem and would like to know if anyone could help!

About a year ago i experienced the same problem you guys did with my pc after i installed sp2.

I eventually figured out (after i ripped apart my printer and found out it wasnt a problem with the print head or ink cartridges) that it was due to sp2 and the drivers!

So i installed the new drivers from the epson website and hey presto everything worked.

Now bear with me........ Ive had to format my pc and re install windows with XP/sp2.

Ive gone to the epson website and downloaded the new drivers from the website but it now doesnt seem to work.

tried to do the ICM method , that doesnt work, tried to install the old drivers only, that doesnt work, tried to print via epson photo quicker that doesnt work!Tried to print to 310 instead of 300 that doesnt work!

I have now uninstalled anything to do with epson r300 from add/remove programs and am awaiting advice!

16. cutman

cutman Member

just spoke to a technical bod at epson (if there is such a thing) he's given me some advice on what to do so ill give it a try tonight and see if it works, if it does ill post it on here for anyone else that has this problem.

17. suko

suko Member

A friend who has an R300 printer appealed to me for help. Her printer suddenly started producing dark prints without warning and she has never installed SP2. I advised talking to Epson and in the meantime , try the ICM setting. This solved the print quaulity and on speaking to Epson, she was advised to select ICM.

18. Swarf

Swarf Guest

Hi,

I just dropped on this forum as I was looking for a solution to an R300 issue.

I have gone through the SP2 darkness scenario already and on advice from Epson click the ICM button if I use Windows for printing although generally I print from the software that came with my Minolta. I am not too keen on the ‘Photo Quicker' but it works.

My current 'problem' which maybe should be on another thread, is that I find there is a bias to a rosy pink/beige dullness on indoor flash prints. It is not apparent as such on my screen. They might look cosily warm but not overly so. I get good colour repro there with nice bright clear pics but then when printed they seem so much duller and redder. I correct them for printing so that they are more green, but even then I am not happy. I appreciate the difference between pigment a light so I don’t suppose I am going to get the brilliance but if there is redness in an indoor shot and most pubs here and many rooms have brownish/ cream/ reddish warm décor then the printer seems to hang on to it and makes a dismal mess of things.

Please redirect me if I am in the wrong spot here or offer advice if there is any to be had. I was also toying with the idea of downloading the new driver for the printer but seeing the bad experiences one or two of you have had I think I will leave it alone and stick with ICM. The download for making web pages fit onto A4 seems a good idea though and I hope it works OK as I have just done it from the link

19. cutman

cutman Member

i tried the method epson suggested but that didnt work either, i think the problem is whenever i try to uninstall the printer and turn my pc back on again windows automatically detects the printer and installs it without prompting me for drivers!

I dont want this to happen as its installing the old drivers which i dont want.

Anyone know how i can delete anything with a reference to the old drivers?

20. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

do you know how to use regedit? try installing the program 1st til it asks you to connect printer.