1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

erasing harrdrive-want to sell PC

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by roger3125, Feb 12, 2007.

1. roger3125

roger3125 Regular member

I've heard of downloading a long long download that will completely write over whatever is in the harddrive. I understand this would suffice to enable one to sell their PC without new owner knowing your persoanla date or whhat sites you hav visited in the past.

I alos understand there are both free and cost applications available. Can someone recommend a free one that they have personally used...and ws happy with, of course.

Thanks so much
    roger3125

2. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Ill post back in a minute but i know theres a free utility somewere that totally erases your harddrive.

3. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Heres the site . . .

www.killdisk.com

This is exactly what you need, and its 100% safe (no viruses/spyware/etc).

4. roger3125

roger3125 Regular member

Thanks peainapod (love that name) I am a novice so by using this application will it mess me up or is it pretty straight forward? Also I noticed at the bottom it said

To be able to use HDD again you need to:

repartition HDD using standard utility like FDISK

reformat partitions using standard utility like FORMAT

reinstall Operating System using bootable CD-ROM or floppy

Is any of these operations difficult to perform?

And last but not least are ther other safe applications that can do the same that are easier to use?

Again, a big thanks
    roger3125

5. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

No, those steps are not that difficult: They are done automatically with Windows and Linux during installation. It's just that killdisk completely wipes the disk, rather than just deleting user files while leaving the operating system intact.

6. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Like Dunker says, no those steps are not that difficult most commonly. Installing Windows/Linux/Mac OSX would reformat/partition the drives. After you run the active@killdisk your basically left with a blank slate. A harddive thats unformatted and has no partition(s). So like the directions say to use it again one either needs to format and partition it with software like FDisk and FORMAT. Or just install an operating system on it which would do both.

7. roger3125

roger3125 Regular member

Thanks to youi both.

<<So like the directions say to use it again one either needs to format and partition it with software like FDisk and FORMAT. Or just install an operating system on it which would do both.>>

By installing an OS I assume that means to insert the disc that came with my PC. Once inserted the disc will automatically take over and install system...am I correct or am I dreaming again?

You guys re so helpful. Big thanks

8. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Your correct in both cases. If you want to use the disk you just erased just for storage (not to install a OS) then you need to run FDisk and FORMAT on it. (FDisk would make a partition)(FORMAT would format the drive)(you would need both)

But if you are going to install an operating system on it then you just stick the OS install disc in the cd/dvd drive and the install the operatin system. The OS disk will take care of preparing the harddrive for you.

9. roger3125

roger3125 Regular member

Thanks again but just to be certain I understand this and not send my PC into PC heaven allow me to repeat what I think you are telling me.

1. I run killdisk the result will be a virgin blank harddrive
    2. I insert the OS backup or whtever that disc that comes with the PC is and it will download the OS onto my harddrive...automatically
    3. Once done I will again have a working PC but with no applications

If I do this is ther any need for FDISK or FORMAT (whatever they are)

Lastly without getting me further confused can you tell me what "partitioning" is and if it necessary.

Thanks for putting up with my ignorance

10. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Yes
    Yes, when installing the OS you may need to hit enter now and again and give the program some other info. But for the most part the process is totally automated.

Yes, you will have a brand new installation of the OS on your harddrive and their will be no chance of recovering files off your harddrive.

Yep, if you isntall an OS their is absolutely no need for FDISK or FORMAT.

Basically partitioning a harddrive is the process of taking the harddrive and making it appear as a harddrive to the computer. (that was a very crude/basic description of partitioning. But for this situation that is all the info that is important to know.

11. roger3125

roger3125 Regular member

Thanks for clearing this up. Naturally as a beginner I'm reluctant to do this but when it is time to move up from this little laptop (and hopefully not my desktop) I will follow your directions to the letter,,,now if I can only figure out where I can copy this info to so I know where to look for it when I need it.

You have been so helpful to me and I hope I can ctinue to tap your wealth of knowledge that I lack.

Speaking of which....you ever use Windows Movie Maker? I'm making my first PhotShow with Windows Movie Maker and my God what an under taking.

Again a big thanks and I will remain in touch if you don't mind

Roger

12. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I rarely make my own movies but when I do I do use windows movie maker. And yes it can be confusing. There was a good guide on making video in windows movie maker in the november 2005 issue of Maximum PC but that is a while back and most likely hard to find a hard or soft copy. If you do need help though I will do my best to help you or direct you to someone/someplace were you can get help. (feel free to send me private messages)

13. roger3125

roger3125 Regular member

Thanks but how does one send a private message on AfterDawn?

14. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Do you see on every post in the upperright of the message there are 3 icons? The one on the far right should be a upper-torso w/ a arrow. Clicking that icon will let you send a private message (about any subject) to that user. So for example if you wanted to send me a Private message you would hit that head icon for one of the replies I posted. And in the new window type your message to me. And I will get it in my inbox.

15. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

I forgot. If you reinstall an operating system (like Windows) and you use the Microsoft key on the sticker on your case then you can't use that serial for any other computer. I figured you may know that but better safe than sorry.

16. roger3125

roger3125 Regular member

Huh?
    <<Do you see on every post in the upperright of the message there are 3 icons?>> I don't see any icons in the upper right. Please see attached to see what I see.

<<If you reinstall an operating system (like Windows) and you use the Microsoft key on the sticker on your case then you can't use that serial for any other computer>>

I understand that. Unlike the Mac each PC has its own unique OS disc. I used to be a Mac person and I preferred their way with the OS. You bought the OS disc and you could do what you pleased with it. I usually bought one OS disc and installed it on all three Macs at the time.

Now I'm a full time Windows kind of guy. One reason for the switch is with Mac is was very difficult to find someone like yourself to get help. I am greatful to you for your offer to help

Wait. How do I attach it?

17. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

This pic should explain how to send/write a Private Message.
    [​IMG]

If you have more questions let me know :)

18. tnarulz

tnarulz Member

EDIT got it sorted out

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007