1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Erasing Linux and installing windows XP

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by babar35, Jan 15, 2004.

1. babar35

babar35 Member

Hello to you all, wise computer experts,
    I recently aquired a desktop system, see below
    AMD Athlon XP2200 CPU

MSI Micro ATX M/B
    256MB DDR PC-266 RAM (expandable to 2GB)
    40GB Seagate HDD
    DVD ROM
    1.44MB FDD
    LAN
    ProSavage8 2D/3D Graphics on board
    On Board Sound
    6 X USB 2.0
    Keyboard
    P/S2 Mouse
    Mandrake Linux 9.1 O/S
    Retail packaging with user manual & quick set-up poster
    Full Plug & Play BIOS

The system comes with Linux, unfortunately I don't know how to use this system and I need to install XP. Could somebody tell me [bold]in details[/bold] how I can do that. I am really novice in the computer area. I have a CD for xp but no floppy.
    Thanks in advance to you all
    Much respect
    babar

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

You should be able to just boot the Windows XP CD and install it. You might have to change boot order in your bios to allow the cd to boot. If you can't get the cd to boot you can download the boot disks from Microsoft:
    For XP Pro:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=33291
    For XP Home:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=33290

Alternatively you can boot with a Windows 98 startup disk and load the cd drivers and then run winnt.exe in the I386 directory of the XP CD.

3. babar35

babar35 Member

much respect to you
    will let you know how it went..

4. babar35

babar35 Member

Hi there
    Another quick question, do I need to remove Linux b4 installing Windaz, if yes, can I just erase Linux files or do I have to wipe out the all hard disk, and how do I do all that??!!
    Merci
    Babar

5. babar35

babar35 Member

Hi all
    Installation of windows went ok, but window's setup has formatted the C:drive,and now it's called E: when I try to install my broadband modem, the wizard tells me he can't find the C: drive.
    How can I rename the different drives (hard disk, floppy and DVD rom)?!!
    Thanks in advance
    babar

6. Xian

Xian Regular member

You probably should have wiped out the linux install first and repartitioned your hard drive. Sorry I didn't get a reply to you sooner. Linux usually partitions your hard drive into several partitions and you need to use fdisk to delete the non dos partitions first then repartition the hard drive. I imagine that XP saw the other partitions with data in them and installed itself on another partition, thats why it is showing up as E:
    Another problem you sometimes run into taking linux off is that the lilo bootloader doesn't get erased even with a repartitions. You have to use an undocumented command fdisk /mbr to reset the master boot record of the hard drive.
    http://www.compguystechweb.com/troubleshooting/fdisk/fdisk_scr.html
    Has some info on fdisk and the screens you will see. Of course that would mean reinstalling XP again which you would probably want to do since a lot of setting would be pointing to your E: drive even if you got the drive letters changed.

7. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

You really should reinstall xp, aside from the problems you described above and the possible loss of disk space, you cannot change your system drive letter, so with your current installation you're stuck with E:\. Its usually easier anyways to just reinstall xp when problems arrise.

8. babar35

babar35 Member

Many respects to you who replied to my sos...
    Gonna try what u guys said, and as Ceasar said:'allea jacta est' which basically neans : hope it gonna fu....g work!
    Babar

9. babar35

babar35 Member

Hi all,
    managed to fix the hard disk using magic partition, it's a nice piece of software!! Thanks to you all who responded.
    Respect
    babar