1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error 16 - proving to be impossible

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by far_sharp, Dec 28, 2009.

1. far_sharp

far_sharp Member

In hopes that knowledgeable people still read this forum, I have an Error 16 problem that's proving to be a tough fight.
    I know how to hotswap, and I've read just about every thread/youtube tutorial on easy fixes for E16.

I have two Xbox's.
    box 1) updated and working fine, no issues.
    box 2) friend's box that has been on E16 for 4 years I'm just now getting around to work on it. (Unmodded)

I have no idea what the kernel# and dash version is because the xbox only boots to E16 screen. Duh. I started using Xboxhdm. According to the software, everything went fine. I went ahead and put the Ndure softmod on there too but it the installation canceled stating the drive was full. Whatever. I redid Xboxhdm without a softmod and when I restarted the xbox, BAM ERROR 16!
    After more research I found out I could use Xplorer360 to do transfer files which was a million times quicker than Xboxhdm. So I hotswapped again, erased partition 3, and inserted the brand new dash files into partition 3. Fingers were crossed but this didn't work either (I'm assuming the last dashboard he had wasn't 5960 or whatever the latest is).
    Then I tried tossing in Slayer's AutoInstaller 2.7 disk in there. Beginning to erupt in joy, the green X XBOX screen froze for 5-10 seconds as the disk was being read... BAM ERROR 16!

So here I am with a stubborn Xbox and a depleting amount of patience.

I know exactly what Error 16 is, I was wondering if there was a bios.xbe file or something that just skips the whole clock part? I read about people "flashing different bios" or something but I assume that's for a mod chip.

Any creative solutions to solving this problem? I'd love to hear them.
    I know this is a long 1st post, sorry. But thanks ahead of time

2. scum101

scum101 Guest

What you need to do is just stick a set of stock dash files on the box first. It's trying to load so the usual way I attempt first is to cold boot halo2 .. that does it's updating and you get back to a stock box situation.

As far as I remember (and I have forgotten lots because it's cheaper to just buy a working one and use the duffer for spares.. I can get workers now for less than £10) is as long as you have a 1.0-1.4 any set of dash files will boot it just fine.. it's the 1.6 a and b that cause problems. Why not literally copy all the files from C and E on the working one to the non worker?

drive full error is a good one.. it happens because the softmod backup already exists on E taking all the available space.

I guess you know an e16 can be caused by bad sectors on the drive too?

3. far_sharp

far_sharp Member

I am a little hesitant to use the working xbox in case I mess something up. I haven't tried booting any games after fixing. I'll put Halo 2 in there and hope that something happens.

Also when you say Error 16 can be caused by bad sectors on the hard drive, are you saying that the drive itself could be bad? If this was the case I'd have to get another drive and just put the EEPROM.bin file on the new one right

4. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Why not use my files and forget about your problems?

Get a new drive, use my files in xboxhdm and build a iso, burn the iso, run xboxhdm, build drive from scratch, lock drive using your eeprom, throw it in your xbox and forget about your problems.

Files are located in my sig 1.0-1.4 and 1.4-1.6b ... if you can't figure it out just throw the xbox away.

My files will revert your clock back to default time, You can also access the ms dash from the main menu, i don't know if you have to fix the xml file first (it depends which set of files you use).

Sounds simple to me.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  5. scum101

scum101 Guest

It is simple isn't it? .. I must have made around 30 e16 situations while I was working on llamma.. just to find out exactly how to fix them and how they happened. It baffles me how people have a fully working box sitting there and it never dawns on them to simply copy the files on to the non working box drive.

6. far_sharp

far_sharp Member

C4RN1 - I don't have the EEPROM, unless you're suggesting that I buy/build an EEPROM reader... that's not out of the question.

I agree that all of this "seems" easy, which is why it's all the more frustrating for me. I have the drive hooked up to my PC right now, I cleared both C: and E: via Xplorer360. I put the Retail Dash files on C: and nothing else. Un-hotswap and still E16.

I am determined though and thankful that you have patience with me.

I'll try again with your files, Carni.
    Thanks

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  7. far_sharp

far_sharp Member

Just wanted to add that today I built an EEPROM reader similar to Unicorn's at llamma.

Now that I have the EEPROM I should be in shape for the rest of this and get back to ya'll tonight.

---
    Edit: Update

Okay so now I'm dealing with the frozen hard drive problem. I'm assuming the only way to solve this is using a different PC with different BIOS because his HP isn't working. My only other PC available is an ancient eMachine without a power supply.

My only thoughts are getting a SATA to USB adapter and using one of 5 laptops we have around the house...

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010