1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error 21

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by sesko, Mar 24, 2006.

1. sesko

sesko Regular member

Hope someone can help me out here, a few months ago, i softmodded my xbox with no problem, been working fine ever since, then yesterday, i get the screen stating service xbox and number 21 in top left hand corner, is there a way to fix this, i cant network it now to look inside of it, do i need to hot swap the hard drive, is there a bootable disk? anything? lol

thanks

2. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

use the "dashupdate" option in games. Intruction:

- Disconnect xbox to Live. Other word unplug the ethernet cable from xbox.

- Load the game has dashupdate option.

- click on it. This may restore your dashboard.

If not, try to use SID or AID.

3. sesko

sesko Regular member

thanks, but it wont even read the original game i used, nothing comes up, anything else that you can think of?

4. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

damn something is wrong with the dashboard, but usually the original games still work. If they don't work at all, you have to do the hotswap. I will give you a tutor shortly.

5. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

6. sesko

sesko Regular member

thanks, i will give it a try, hope it works, if not, who knows!

7. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

wait. do you have ms dash on PC?

8. sesko

sesko Regular member

i have a original backup of a previously softmodded xbox i did, that should do the trick i am hoping!

9. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

you just need to restore ms dash after pc can read the xbox hdd through xplorer360.

Oops. the link to download xplorer360 is broken. I will give you another one.

10. sesko

sesko Regular member

thanks

11. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

here we go. I already fix the link. If it broke again, let me know.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2006
  12. sesko

sesko Regular member

this explore360 is not just for xbox 360, its just a name i take it? it will work with original xbox? by the way, thanks for all your help, if you ever need any advice on burning movies, i will be more then happy to help you out!

13. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

it is a PC apps to talk to xbox360 hdd. it also talk to xbox hdd on hotswap.

14. sesko

sesko Regular member

right on, i will download it when i can get the chance, in your opinion, how long should this process take about to complete if all goes well?

15. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

the major thing is PC has to read the xbox hdd. You will try at least 5-6 times to get this. Maybe 30-60 mins. After that use the xplorer360 transfet ms dash to xbox hdd. Xplorer360 just like windows explorer.

16. sesko

sesko Regular member

so your saying, i will have to keep rebooting pc until it reads hdd?

17. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

both PC and Xbox.

The actual work process NOTES:

I'm not good at explaining things but if you have followed that guide above and now have your box ready and your pc ready then here is what I done.

Both are turned off to start with.

I connected a power cable from my pc to the xbox hard drive. Obviously the ide cable was still going from the hard drive to the xbox mother board.

I then powered up my pc but just before it goes through the detecting hard drive stage I pressed 'pause Break' on the keyboard.This stops the pc fully booting up.

Next step was to power on the xbox and just as the logo loads up disconnect the IDE cable. You can now plug the IDE cable from your pc into the xbox hard drive.

Once that is done press 'A' on your keyboard and this should start to boot your computer again. You may need to press it a few times.
    This should now boot your pc and when it has logged on to windows you may get a 'detected new hard ware' message(i done mine twice, first time it detected it and second time it did not so its worth carrying on even if it did not detect it)

I then opened up xlorer360 and you should see 5 partitions down the left hand side. You want to put your M$ dash files in partiton 3. then when you put it all back together you can load up splinter cell and the soft mod save and Re do what needs to be done. Forgot to say, that you must put your xbox hard drive back in to the box before switching it off so this can relock it to your box.

18. sesko

sesko Regular member

so what i understand from the notes, i am to have another ide cable hooked up on the mother board of pc or use the available pins on the ide that is already hooked up to my pc hdd, i am wondering, i should be able to use ide2, just unhook from my dvd burners, yes burners, i have two, one for lightscribing! use that ide for the xbox hdd, is this close to being right?

19. sesko

sesko Regular member

another question, why would, like you state in your notes, connect a power cable to the xbox hdd from the pc, cant i just leave the power from xbox motherboard hooked into it, use the ide cable from my pc only, not the one used for pc hard drive but for dvd burner?

20. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

ok there are 2 IDE ports on motherboard: primary and secondary.

- The primary goes to PC hdd and DVD drive.
    - the secondary will connect to xbox hdd. So one end of the IDE cable connect to motherboard. The other end is free. It will connect to xbox hdd later.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2006