1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error 6: Need Assistance

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by Engreido, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Engreido

Engreido Member

I modded an Xbox for somebody recently and after a couple of weeks the person left the Xbox unplugged and started getting Error 16. While reading around I came upon this post: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/442879

I didnt read it carefully as the post was for a hard modded xbox. Since I didnt noticed right away, I unlocked the Hdd and of course it wouldnt boot afterwards. Looking around I found a few hdd/eeprom programs, among them LiveInfo(eeprom). I hooked up my Xbox hdd to the pc and since it was unlocked it was easy to read. I used LiveInfo, checked my Xbox hdd info, wrote down the Xbox calculated pw, which I wrote down and checked and double checked that I had the right one. I followed the instructions found here(Locking the drive):
    http://xbox-scene.com/articles/lock-hdd.php

Since I didnt have the backup on my C: I used the calculated password to lock the Xbox hdd and it worked(I did it on DOS using HDDLock.exe) the problem is that when I hooked it back up to my Xbox now im getting Error 6. I tried unlocking it with HDDUnlock.exe and UnlockX but it wont Unlock even though Im using the same pw I used before. I even tried doing this:
    http://yoshi.us/forums/showthread.php?t=17443

Which worked fine but when I plug everything back I still get Error 6.

Any suggestions how I should go about it?

The messed up part is that I managed to fix the Xbox that was originally messed up in the first place with the Error 16 and now is mine thats messed up.

2. casper007

casper007 Guest

Is your box hard modded or soft????

i found this for you its a error code solution, not from my oun head but good info......6 - kernel - Cannot unlock HDD

If you understand the above, you should be able to understand what this means. It means you are trying to boot up the xbox with an harddisk that is locked in combination with ANOTHER motherboard than you are using it with right now.

What can i do about it, you ask? Well place the harddisk back in the xbox where it came from. After that, UNLOCK the harddisk with the same procedure i explained above (see error 5). Now when the harddisk is UNLOCKED, put it in the xbox which gave you the error. Now when you boot up with the chip ON it should not give you an error anymore.

However when you put the xbox on with the chip OFF your xbox will give you an error. (error 5) So to make sure you can boot original and boot with the chip ON. Next do the same as above: "Boot up your xbox with the chip on. Preferrably with a slayer evo-x cd. Now you choose "Eeprom management." Than you choose: "Lock hdd." It takes one second. After its ready it should say something like "Done"
    When it is ready just turn off your xbox. Disable your chip and try to boot original. Now there should be no more error.

3. DeadRain

DeadRain Regular member

4. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Did you ever back up your eeprom.bin file anywhere but on the xbox drive?

Sounds like another classic case of a live info/config magic corrupted file.
    Read the parts of this tutorial concerning the eeprom.bin file, and using xboxhdm to recover a locked drive with it. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/357863

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2007
  5. Engreido

Engreido Member

Mine is softmodded. I believe that when I put my Xboxs hdd on my PC and ran LiveInfo it generated the wrong PW which in turned I used to lock the Xbox and of course it wouldnt work because the keys/pw dont match.

6. casper007

casper007 Guest

Your on the right track, i have not had to do that as of yet but i do not see why it wont work....... once again good luck!! if it does work please let me know as i have 3 boxes here that i use for spare parts cos people have screwed them up wiping the hard drives. i could make better use of them then spare parts if your idea works. pm me please!!

7. janrocks

janrocks Guest

The eeprom reader works well.. The only suggestion I would make is.. don't bother trying to power on the xbox, just use a couple of batteries instead.