1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error 6 Question

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by gitiup4o9, Oct 27, 2007.

1. gitiup4o9

gitiup4o9 Member

Would it be possible for a stock xbox to get an error 6 code? I bought it off of someone, he seemed a little questionable... When I got it home, it was opened and stuff, but I couldn't see any mods.

I am currently trying to unlock it. I run HDUNLOCK.exe in dos, and it says that it unlocked it. But in atapwd, it still shows that it is locked.

So I am thinking the HDD might not go with the xbox, but I am not sure. Please help...

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Yeah, it probably the wrong one!

You'll need an eeprom reader to get it going again!

3. gitiup4o9

gitiup4o9 Member

I already extracted the EEPROM, but I didn't know what to look for. But with LiveInfo, I got the unlock code. Then with HDUNLOCK, I enter the code, and it says "done".

If I do unlock it with a program, will it work with the motherboard? Even if it doesn't match the EEPROM's unique HDD key?

Also, is there a way I can soft mod it with my computer once it is unlocked. Like with slayers disk?

4. Corey090

Corey090 Guest

I always thought that if you locked the hd with the wrong eeprom, u had to unlock it with the same one...the go back and lock it with the correct eeprom...ur saying you extracted the correct eeprom already..im pretty sure that renders useless if you dont have the incorrect one that someone locked it with in the first place....i dont know...im still new at this.....listen to everything ChunkHead says, he wont let ya down or leave ya hangin....

5. gitiup4o9

gitiup4o9 Member

Well, I am doing this tutorial, and I hope that it works. I do not know if this is the right way to go. There weren't any chip mods, or softmods.

I am also going to use another hard drive. Probably an older Western Digital with like 20gb, that I have laying around.

6. gitiup4o9

gitiup4o9 Member

Okay, now I am getting an code 5 error. Which means that my harddrive isn't locked. I have used the code from my eeprom to lock it, and it won't lock it. So I can't get it to work. I have tried to lock it in atapwd, and hdlock... nothing is working.

7. Corey090

Corey090 Guest

Ok i can help you with the error 05...

Things you will need:
    Live Info
    XboxHDM
    360Xplorer
    Nero
    Blank cd's and a burner...

Ok i will give you the basic lowdown on how this will work, but your best bet, and for clearer detail, go to chunkheads software and tutorials..get the software from him and i will be tellin you the same thing his tutorial says, but his is a lot more in detail..

After downloading all of those programs above to your pc....you need to open up ur xbox and your pc....(literally open them up)

you need to hook up your xboxhd to ur computer.....then use 360xplorer to get inside the hd..(works the same way as windows explorer)

a softmod makes 2 eeproms, so if u are softmodded, be sure to grab the right one...It should be in partiton4/udata/2xxxxxxx/00000000/backup..

DO NOT!! get the eeprom file from APPS/ConfigMagic/Data.....it has never been the correct one for me..u must find the one that is in a file named '0000000'....it is partition 4 and in UDATA...i didnt have a file called 2xxxxx so i had to dig untill i found a file called 000000' and there are two of those files, but trust me, your eeprom is in one of them!!

Now open the eeprom in liveinfo to see if it is the correct one...there should be a sticker on the bottom of the xbox with the same serial number...i had to guess cuz i didnt have the sticker!!

Now you wanna open up xboxHDM...go into linux and then eeprom...drop your eeprom.bin (all lower case!) file in that folder..

Go back to the page where you clicked linux....click on 'make-iso-win.bat'....your command prompt should pop up but only for a few seconds..wen it goes away, you should see a file called linux.iso..It will be on the same screen that you clicked make-iso-win.bat...it should have just popped up....

Double click that and burn that mother trucker!!

wen it is complete, turn off ur comp and xbox, but make sure your pc's bios is set to boot from cd....

Unplug your pc's hd so that the only thing plugged in is your cd drive, and that should be plugged in the secondary slot, not where ur main hd was plugged in....put in the disc that u made and boot ur pc up....you will know if u did it right bc will will see a big screen that says Xbox Hard Drive Maker...

At that time, turn on ur xbox and wait until just before it goes into the error screen and unplug the hd IDE cable and plug it into the master slot for your pc...push the number 3 and hit enter..

then type lock -a ...........it should do its thing then say complete...hook ur xbox back up and bang, Your Fixed....

P.S. Theres no reason to add the MS Dash Files or UDATA and TDATA folders like chunkheads tutorial says..only if you want to completly rebuild ur hd...this info i just told u is only to lock ur hd...which is what an error 05 means...It means hd is unlocked...and if u do all the steps and you get an error 6...that means u locked it with the wrong eeprom and the motherboard cannot unlock the hd...

any other questions, let me know, if i cant help then chunkhead will...

8. gitiup4o9

gitiup4o9 Member

I already have the correct eeprom, I extracted it directly from the eeprom chip via the LPC connectors. I did the whole hard drive rebuild. It just turns out that the drive isn't "ATA Security Enabled". So that means that I can't lock it. So, I guess I'll have to see if I have one that'll work, and if not I will go buy one.

I think I have it all figured out. If not, I'll be posting back...

9. gitiup4o9

gitiup4o9 Member

Okay, I finally got one to lock. I put it in, and now I get an error 9 code. Which means that there is something wrong with the HDD Parameters, I believe. Is there a way to fix this at all? or am I better off tossing it?

10. gitiup4o9

gitiup4o9 Member

I switched the IDE cable with another one, and I am now getting an error 6 code again...

11. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Corey090 told you already what to do. If you can't understand him, do as he said and read my tutorials!

If you use LiveInfo correctly you can't have the wrong eeprom!

Read my tutorials, make a fresh drive and lock it! It's all there step by step!

12. gitiup4o9

gitiup4o9 Member

Okay, I unpluged the IDE cable from the HDD I put in the XBOX, and it was clicking and scratching just by power. I am guessing that this is bad, and means that the hard drive is a piece of crap. So I am still looking around my house for old hard drives... I really need to clean up. They are hidden everywhere...

Also, on another note... I tried to fix another xbox (broken disc drive), so I put the new one in from the 1.6b I have into the broken 1.0, and it doesn't work. It boots to the menu, and I can play music from the dashboard. Does this mean that it is broken?

PS. I got it from the xbox that I am having hard drive problems with, so I think that some ex-modder gave me a bunch of crappy parts for beer money...

13. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

I don't follow... if the DVD drive is working and playing music, how can it be broke?

14. gitiup4o9

gitiup4o9 Member

Well, I am playing the music from the hard drive in the 1.0. So I'm not using the DVD drive. The drive won't open in either of the xboxs. So I think I might have 2 xboxs with bad DVD drives.

I think I might pull out the old 1.0 hard drive, and unlock it, and then use XBOXHDM 1.9 to make a new one. Then I'll put it in the 1.6 and see if it works.

Hopefully I can get a working disk drive out of the next xbox I buy...

15. ssbs

ssbs Member

hay i lost by hard drive code. can i get it back some how?

16. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Start a new thread giving as much detail to your problem as possible!

;)