1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error 6 When Upgrading HDD on a Softmod

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Nealio, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Nealio

Nealio Regular member

Okay well first of all I do have a softmodded xbox. I have been trying to install a larger HDD (80 GB WD800JB) but I keep getting error 6 on my Xbox. I have tried several different methods, and just can't seem to get any to work. Here's the last one I've tried:

I used xboxhdm 1.8 to unlock the drive, formatted it, then loaded the files from a CD I made (which includes my xbox stock's hdd eeprom). After all of that, I booted from a floppy and used hdlock.exe to lock my hdd. That was successful, so then I went straight into ATAPWD and it said:

SELFXV

++---m

I then rebooted and went back into ATAPWD and it said:

SELFXV

+++--m

I tried putting the new hdd in my xbox on cable select and master... but I'm still getting error 6.

Anyone know what I did wrong? I'd really like to have this HDD in my xbox.

2. Nealio

Nealio Regular member

Anybody?

3. Nealio

Nealio Regular member

Okay well after a couple more hours of research and trial and error I got it to work. The problem was the eeprom file. I was using the one that EvoX backed up found in E:\backup_linux but it turns out it is different than the one found in E:\UDATA\00170015\00000000. So I used the eeprom file inside the UDATA folder and it worked fine! I only found one tutorial that said to look in the UDATA folder... the rest said to use the backup_linux one... so if anyone else is having a problem like this, try the other eeprom file.