1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

error 7 on my xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by fantasy7, Oct 7, 2007.

1. fantasy7

fantasy7 Member

Theres is a error 7 on my xbox and I dont have a modd chip in it but I did try to hotswap it but it didnt go to well and I know there have been a lot of threads about this in the past about error 7 but just wondering if there latest ways to fix this problem

maybe a list of ways to fixing this or advice

and by the way its not my xbox and have a few days in fixing this

THANK YOU

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Shy of the Cable not being plugged into the HDD or the cable being defective, the only explanation is that the HDD is dead!

Sorry!

3. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

If you still have the original HDD untouched in working condition then you could put that back in to see if it works. If you still have your EEPROM then you could try to rebuild the hard drive. Tell me what you have and I will help you out.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  4. fantasy7

fantasy7 Member

yes i have a harddrive i dont use and i dont have EEPROM

5. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

If you don't have the original Hard drive that came in your XBOX with the MS dash on it or you don't have the EEPROM then your stuck. You will need to buy and EEPROM reader and read the EEPROM from the chip before you can create a new hard drive that the XBOX will work on. Additionally, you can try a different hard drive. I have a CD that might recover the XBOX but I will upload it and post a link to it later.

6. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Ok, you will need a CD Burner and Blank CD for this:
    Download the following files.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/61193202/linux.part1.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/61187264/linux.part2.rar
    You will need to download both files in one folder and unzip JUST THE linux.part1.
    After you have done that burn it to CD.
    Then put your XBOX hard drive in your computer. If it is locked then this will not work, if it is not locked this will work.
    Boot the computer from CD and follow the directions on the CD to Create a new XBOX HD. If your XBOX HD is locked then just use another hard drive.

7. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

What exactly is on the CD???

8. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

It is the new hard drive files from your tutorial along with a clone of my E Drive so it should boot to XBMC.

9. fantasy7

fantasy7 Member

but will this work and fix the harddrive because i might just keep my friends xbox and get him a new one

10. fantasy7

fantasy7 Member

but will this work and fix the harddrive because i might just keep my friends xbox and get him a new one

or a can just get him a new ready to go xbox but i heard if its not the harddrive it can be the whole damn motherboard itself

11. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

That CD Should work as long as the hard drive is not physically damaged. What it does is formats your HDD and puts the default stuff it needs back on it. I have not tested it but Its worth a try. By my experiences, it should work. You only need the HDD Locked if loading into the MS dashboard, this is loading into the XBMC Dashboard.

12. fantasy7

fantasy7 Member

how do i know if its locked or not

and thanks for helping me so far

13. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

These instructions are to check if its locked and to fix it
    First: Turn on your XBOX without the cover and see if you hear the hard drive spin up. If it clicks, then the HDD is Bad
    Second: Reinsert the cable to the HDD and DVD Drive and make sure power is going to both drives, remove the cable completely and reinsert it, you will need to remove the DVD drive to do this.
    Third: If that doesn't work, then try a new IDE cable. You can borrow an IDE cable from the PC to see if its your IDE cable or not. The IDE cable in your PC is attached to your CD Drives and occasionally to your HDD.

If all the above fails, then do the below.
    First: Burn the ISO image to CD.
    Second: Remove all hard drives from your compuer
    Third: Install the XBOX HDD in the Primary Master port of the computer, this is usually labled in the computer or the port is a different color than the other such as blue or red.
    [​IMG]
    Newer computers may only have 1 IDE port, in this case you will need to connect it along with your CD Drive
    Fourth: Boot from CD, when it loads, hit "1" enter then type "xboxhd" enter and the next page will tell you if your hard drive is locked or not, if not then go ahead and "Create new XBOX HD" and it will go ahead and create the new hard drive.
    If your drive is locked and doesn't work with the steps listed in the beginning, then use a different hard drive.
    When it asks for the EEPROM, just ignore it and hit cancel or "N"

Hope this helps, let me know how it goes

14. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

IF YOUR SYSTEM IS SOFTMODDED DO THIS FIRST
    Download this Rescue disc and burn it to a DVD. DVD-R is recomended but I did it on a DVD+RW and it worked fine. Its 5MB Compressed but 1GB Decompressed (I didn't compress but I give huge credit to whoever did for compressing it this much)
    http://rapidshare.com/files/61689542/Frostys_XBOX_Rescue_Disc_v1.0.rar