1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

error code 6

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by 98sohc, Feb 19, 2007.

1. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

ok, i have put numerous hdd's in xbox's before, but now i have a 40gig and 80gig, i created the hdd with xboxhdm, everything locked no problem, but now when i put them in all i get is error code 6 on both drives, they are both seagate hdd's. can anyone help me please?? thanks,

2. Jeebiss

Jeebiss Member

6 - kernel - Cannot unlock HDD

If you understand the above, you should be able to understand what this means. It means you are trying to boot up the xbox with an harddisk that is locked in combination with ANOTHER motherboard than you are using it with right now.

What can i do about it, you ask? Well place the harddisk back in the xbox where it came from. After that, UNLOCK the harddisk with the same procedure i explained above (see error 5). Now when the harddisk is UNLOCKED, put it in the xbox which gave you the error. Now when you boot up with the chip ON it should not give you an error anymore.

However when you put the xbox on with the chip OFF your xbox will give you an error. (error 5) So to make sure you can boot original and boot with the chip ON. Next do the same as above: "Boot up your xbox with the chip on. Preferrably with a slayer evo-x cd. Now you choose "Eeprom management." Than you choose: "Lock hdd." It takes one second. After its ready it should say something like "Done"
    When it is ready just turn off your xbox. Disable your chip and try to boot original. Now there should be no more error.

3. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

you see thats the problem, i just made the hdd with xboxhdm 1.9, copied eeprom.bin to linux eeprom folder, folder "C" and folder "E" from original hdd to the linux folder, and also this is a softmod not hard mod. i know i did the procedure right because i have done it quite a few times. any other suggestions?? and do you think it could just be the hard drives? because like i said before, i made the hdd's no problems and they even locked no problem.