1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

error message "Illegal MPEG video stream"

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by txacoli, Feb 18, 2004.

1. txacoli

txacoli Member

I am a complete newbie at this, but here goes.

I downloaded an MPEG promo band video from a P2P, which is in the MPEG format. It plays perfectly well on the Windows Media Player.

However there are two videos on this download and I only want one of them. I tried to use TMPGEnc Merge And Cut to make two smaller files - I have used this successfully before. This time, it won't work and I keep getting the "Illegal MPEG video stream" error message.

I looked through previous forum threads and can't find anything specifically relating to this problem that has helped me. People talk about using Virtual Dub, and although I downloaded it, I can't understand how to work it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, but please bear in mind that I am a TOTAL newbie to video editing and know very little about it, so would need carefully guiding through any instructions you may offer.

Many thanks in anticipation.

2. Ibonic

Ibonic Member

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

With Downloaded Mpeg files they can easilly get Corrupted which is Probably why the Merge & Cut is giveing you that error...You can Try useing the Simple Demultiplex and see if it will seperate the File into seperate audio and Video files and if it does then useing the Simple Multiplex to put it back together and then try the Merge & Cut...If none of this works then they this simple editor :
    http://www.marumo.ne.jp/mpeg2/m2v_vfp-0.6.47.lzh
    Make sure ALL of the Cuts are on an I Frame....Cheers