1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error Reading Data???

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Juhnny, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Juhnny

Juhnny Member

I recently started getting these "error reading data" messages when I try to copy a backup copy using NERO. I have copied many dvd's with no problems until recently. I thought I might have gotten a bad batch of media(fuji 8x dvd-r's) but I tried different media(verbatim 8x) and it's happen to them as well. It does not happen everytime but I would say its happening 40% of the time which is 40% more then I would like. What cause's this error message? Could it be my dvd drive is on it's last leg? I ran the "test CD Drive" app in NERO. To be honest I don't know if the results are good or bad. I will post and if anyone can decipher them please tell me. Does anyone know what usually causes the "error reading data" message? I have burned many dvd's using this method with no prior problems till now. I have been forced to use SHRINK then burn in order to make sure I can burn the copy. This method is taking double the time it would take just burning with NERO. So any help on this issue would greatly be appreciated.

CD test results-IDE dvd 16x
    avg-6.34
    start - 3.67
    end- 8.88
    Seek times - random-78ms - 1/3-86ms - full-154ms
    cpu usage-1x-6% - 2x-13% - 4x-63% - 8x-63%
    burst rate - 25mbs

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

My guess?

Despite thinking you have successful burns, there are probably crc read errors on the copies you've made. Standalone dvd players can often play through those kinds of errors and you'd never know it (unless you paid extremely close attention).

But when you go to copy the copy, the software you use to copy -- in this case Nero -- is unforgiving: if the sector cannot be read from the dvd it will not ignore it or skip over it, like a dvd player will.

Now, that said, there are some applications that have settings that will ignore read errors. With dvd decrypter, you can go into TOOLS-->SETTINGS--I/O and there is a checkbox to ignore read errors. I haven't tried it, but I imagine that it would allow you to copy ("rip") the copy in spite of the read errors. I don't know what this does, though, to the viewability of the VOB files that get copied to the hard drive. You'd just have to play them and see.

3. Juhnny

Juhnny Member

First off, thanks for the response. Your suggestion sounds logical and I will check to see if NERO has that option. But there were occassions when I got the error message and I would just try another dvd-r and sometime's it would then work sometime's it did not. But everytime I ran the backup through SHRINK/NERO it would work. Again, doing it through SHRINK/NERO takes double the amount of time vs just using NERO.