1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Errors using sony dru500A

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by docskell, Mar 13, 2003.

1. docskell

docskell Member

Has anyone else had trouble using this burner for copy protected backups. I get "unable to mount image" error when using alcohol and "device will not give exclusive use" when using blindwrite(4.25).
    The images themselves are ok as they will load on a virtual device and also burn ok on a sony 140crx. The discs are princo, and am using firmware 2.0. Is this a new level of protection?

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

What is the name the game your trying to backup or emulate? Run scan disc to see if you have any hard disc errors.

Shoey

3. docskell

docskell Member

Spearhead mainly. Scandisc is ok. I used the different burner over my home network using the same image, and it burned ok, worked ok on two separate machines, so I think the image is not corrupt. I just wondered if there were any known hardware/firmware protection, or whether I have a faulty drive. It reads cds ok, not tried DVD yet.

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Sounds to me as if your Sony burner is ok. Try Daemon Tools and mount the image of Spearhead and see if you encounter errors. Try reading the image using CloneCD with your Sony and see if you can play the game with the virtual drive (Daemon Tools). If you can burn music, data, access your Sony burner without any problems, sounds like a software conflict?

Daemon Tools: http://www.daemon-tools.com/Frames/mainlowmid.htm

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2003
  5. docskell

docskell Member

The images mount ok and play using alcohol. Have not DL daemon yet. The image will burn and work on my old sony140crx, but I continue to get errors trying to burn the same image, on the same disc, using the same program(alcohol) on my new sony dru500ax firmware 2.0c.
    I was wondering if you knew whether or not sony had incorporated any new copy protection with these new drives, or do I have a duff one (also checked and reset leads etc). I don't think that it is a software conflict as i changed the burners over and had the same results ie the old 140 crx burnt the image, the new 500dru did not.

6. Shoey

Shoey Guest

This one has be puzzled. Spearhead is Safedisc cd protected (Macrovision), not Sony DAC (SecuROM). I looked around for some firmware for that drive (The firmware page) but didn't see any 2.0 versions. Did you read the image with your sony or your DVD\CD-Rom drive? If not, unmount the image and read the image with your DVD\CD-Rom drive using the Safedisc 2.0 profile. Be sure that you are using ASPI 4.6. Now try and burn the image using the Safedisc2.0 profile with Alcohol 120% with your Sony 500druax. if you encounter another error that I'll assume Alcohol 120% doesn't support this drive and look for future Alcohol 120% updates.

Shoey

7. docskell

docskell Member

The 2.0c firmware is dated 1st feb 2003, and the firmware on the support site goes upto 1.0g, and is suitable only for the dru 500a not the ax. It may indeed be that alcohol does not support it and i suppose i can go and make a cup of tea whilst the old burner goes at 1x.
    Regards

8. Shoey

Shoey Guest

You can give CloneCD a try, but you'll need the aid of "hide-cd-r". I can furthermore assist you on how to do this with CloneCD.

CloneCD:http://elby.ch/english/products/clone_cd/index.html

Shoey