1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Errors when trying to add permanent subtitles to avi file

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by 001721, Apr 8, 2007.

1. 001721

001721 Member

I have followed about 5 different guides when trying to do this. I have used several different programs and get some form of error message each time i do it. It's becoming really annoying. Somebody please give me the simplest step by step guide possible for adding subtitles to an avi movie file. I then wish to convert it so i can burn it to a dvd and play it on my dvd player which i know how to do already.Please help.

2. 001721

001721 Member

I've tried to follow this guide: http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=272736
    Whenever I try to open the video file in virtualdubmod I get the following message:
    "Couldn't locate decompressor for format "DX50" (unknown)
    VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable. Only "direct stream copy" is available for this video."

I have no idea what the message means and do not know what to do. Please help.

3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Means what it says.
    You need to install a VfW (Video for Windows) decoder that can handle the 4cc DX50.

DX50 is the 4cc used by DivX 5.x/6.x, so installing DivX would be an obvious solution. Xvid and ffdshow should also be able to handle decoding it though.