1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Estimated cost of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by doc4eva11, Jan 20, 2005.

1. doc4eva11

doc4eva11 Member

I felt this was best fit for this forum. Anyway, anyone have any info on the media? I heard there's supposed to be a notebook released this fall capable of burning in HD format.

I'm also curious to see how quickly and how much this will affect DL-9 media prices.

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

I haven't seen any media pricing yet on them, but usually they are expensive at first then come down in price. When I got my first CD burner in 1994, blanks were $12-15 each, now they are 1/100th of that price. It was only a couple years ago that DVDR media was pricey too. The early adopters will pay a premium but the price will drop fast as more manufacturers make them and more people buy them.

3. colw

colw Active member

You will also need to factor in replacment hardware costs - they are not compatible with current hardware/players.

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

Sony already has an external USB 2.0 blu-ray drive. It costs $3295. The 20GB RW discs are $50 a pop.