1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Etched image on 52" rear projection screen.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by OhioState, Jun 12, 2005.

1. OhioState

OhioState Member

Our 4 year old Sony rear projecton TV has Fox News logo etched into the left lower corner. It shows up on all channels. Is there a repair for that?

2. p5yco

p5yco Guest

that is called 'screen burn', this is a result of where a still image ie. the logo has been displayed on the screen for a long time, and as a result has burnt itself into the screen. as far as i know i dont think there is a repair, but now you know the actual term to your problem a quick search should find the necessary answers.

3. OhioState

OhioState Member

Thanks for your input. I have been researching it and I have learned that there is another condition call "Image Retention" thats caused by the same thing. I have not tried it yet, but the recomendation for IR is to disconnect your TV for a while (I don't know what "awhile" means) and that it will go away.

In terms of "screen burn", the only reccomendation so far is to neutralize it by staying off that channel until other screen images replace its color set. - I don't know about that, but its all I have so far.

4. McBrat

McBrat Regular member

ouch...it sux to be you...and I say that in a very empathetic way. Last I checked there was no fix. We had a 15k plasma tv in the office that it happen to and it was ruined. All was not lost however as insurance covered a replacement.

5. a-vman

a-vman Member

not sure if this will work but it can't hurt. Try setting your TV to a blank input with a blue screen when its not being watched. This may help eliminate it but it would take months I'm sure.

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Its probably not going to go away mate. You must really watch Fox News a lot lol. Get on to Fox News about it, maybe they will do something for you.....i guess its not entirely impossible.

7. OhioState

OhioState Member

Thanks again for the advice. I think everyone has a favorite News channel, and FOX happens to be ours. I have written them a note asking them to consider rotating the Logo, but I don't expect they will respond.

The real problem may be the product itself. It is a SONY and I have had comments from other SONY users that they have had the same problem but SONY will not acknowledge it. So, I guess I'm SOL.

I just wish I knew what the real source of the problem is. It seems reasonable to me that there must be one component that is causing the condition. If that component is replaceable, I'd like to know what I have to do to do that.

Somewhere, someone has investigated this in depth, probably SONY, but they are not talking because they fear a potential recall. I hope I don't have to replace the whole TV. We have it custom built into a media wall and the size is perfect for the location.

I just want to get it fixed.

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

The problem is the way in which the plasmas display projects the image onto the screen. With CRT's, you can also get a screen burn image (its known as Image Retention), but its more predominant with the plasma's. The element causing it....its the heart of how the screen works. To get rid of it, really you need to replace the whole front screen element, which is pointless due to the price.

9. OhioState

OhioState Member

The SONY I have is a KP-53HS30 Projection TV. I don't think that is a Plasma. I believe its a lens that projects from the rear onto a screen. It says it has a F1.1 high performance, large diameter hybrid lens. There are no disclaimers about screen burn or image retention at all.

10. kinza

kinza Regular member

I wouldn't say it was Sony's fault. I have a Mitsubishi 56" widescreen tv and I also have a logo etched into our screen. The logo went away seven months after we cancelled our service to the channel. My neighbor has a Panasonic which has the same problem, she of course still watches the channel so it hasn't gone away.

11. OhioState

OhioState Member

Thanks Kinza,

That makes living with it easier .... I guess. I'm trying to use other stations as well, but I have noticed that many of them now have thier logo in about the same place. I'd bet that its going to be a permanent struggle.

It just seems that there should be something that could be cleaned, recoated, adjusted or something. It must have something to do with static or electrons.

Thanks again for your input

12. kinza

kinza Regular member

No prob. I noticed the logo got etched on after the tv was left on for hours with no one watching. After we moved our tv to the basement for our home theater we watched less frequently, that's when the image went away. I'd suggest just turning your tv off when you're not watching. That should help a bit.