1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by lifeguy, Oct 5, 2004.

1. lifeguy

lifeguy Member

Hello all...I am new to copying DVD's and I have read that there are others experiencing the same difficulties with copying this movie, and am wondering if anyone would be so kind to walk me through step by step on how to do so. I first tried Dvd Shrink 3.2 and got error of invalid handle...then I think I successfully ripped it with DVD Decrypter, but when I try to shrink it w/ DVD Shrink I get more errors! There has to be a way!! If someone could help I would much appreciate it ( and by the way, this is FUN!! )

Thanks again

2. lifeguy

lifeguy Member

Please dont think I have a 'spotless mind', I hope I havent posted this question in the wrong area or whatever, I just joined today and am excited to learn!! Thanks to everyone that helps with all the great information, and if anyone has any suggestions to help me with ripping this movie, I thank you in advance!!

3. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

what errors?

4. lifeguy

lifeguy Member

Thanks for the response SLY. I successfully ripped the movie with DVD Decrypter and saved it to my C drive. When I open DVD Shrink and click "open files"..then browse to the folder where the VOB and BUP files are, DVD Shrink runs for a second and then just disappears! I have also seen invalid handle error. Any suggestions?

5. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

try ripping with dvd decrypter in mode-iso-read. Then open shrink and click file-open disc image and see if it works.

6. lifeguy

lifeguy Member

thanks for the suggestions SLY, but unfortunately I tried what you said and it still didnt work. Its weird, DVD shrink runs for a second and then just disappears....? I dont know, Im about to give up unless I hear someone else having success copying this movie. I guess it has to do with the fact that this movie was a european version or whatever....thanks for trying to help...(and sweet car!)

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Lifeguy,

(Edited to remove incorrect information about DVD Shrink)

NTSC is the Color TV standard developed in the U.S. in 1953 by National Television System Committee. NTSC runs on 525 lines/frame and it's vertical frequency is 60Hz. NTSC's framerate is 29,97 frames/sec.

PAL (Phase Alternating Line) TV standard was introduced in the early 1960's in Europe. It has better resolution than in NTSC, having 625 lines/frame, but the framerate is slightly lower, being 25 frames/sec.

As you can see my friend, you can't put a square peg into a round hole unless you wish to do a lot of whittling -

http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/Misc_htm/m_pal2n.htm

Cheers,

Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2004
  8. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

I'm confused now,
    I use Dvd Shrink all the time for British Pal dvds.
    Or am I on the wrong track completely here?

I done 'spotless mind' last week but I used Dvd decrypter and RB/CCE for that.

By the way, Hiya Pete.

9. lifeguy

lifeguy Member

Pete, thanks so much for the great info! Wow, there is quite a lot to all of this! So,even though the DVD is Pal, it will play on my dvd player at home, weird. Other dvd's that I have from Europe (region 2) will NOT play. I guess I have lots to learn about all of this....I sure would love to have a copy of "Spotless Mind", but it doesnt look too promising. Are you saying that I should forget it? If so, I will.

Agent K, I sure wish I could copy the movie like you did. I havent had any trouble really in copying 300 or so other dvd's, this is the first with problems.

Thanks to both of you for responding, and Sly too....this site is great and Im learning a lot!!

10. lifeguy

lifeguy Member

Hey Agent K...what is RB/CCE mean??

Thanks!

11. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

RB/CCE
    DvdRebuilder/CinemaCraftEncoder.
    It produces the best quality backups of any of the applications available, but it does take about four hours to do it.
    If it's a big movie file it's well worth the wait.

12. lifeguy

lifeguy Member

Agent K...do you have any suggestions as to where I can find that application. I really really want to back up the dvd Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind...and its proving to be very difficult! Thanks for your help!!

13. bmkarnes

bmkarnes Member

I have ran into the same prob. compressing punsher. I had to re-author disk and just compress and burn the movie. I think there may be some new type of ecryption if you do the whole movie. Cause I'm shrinking spotless mind now but just movie files. 90% done. Hope this helps.

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

AgentK,

My Bad, I just saw that, I must have been possessed. DVD Shrink CAN do PAL.

Let me see if I can do it right tonight -

DVD Shrink can do both PAL and NTSC.
    DVD Decrypter, and DVD Shrink both can make a DVD region free so that it shouldn't be a problem to play a different region backup as it's now region free. I think that's right - a war just broke out in my the kitchen - Make note, do not get married !

Conclusion, Trying to play a PAL DVD on a NTSC player.

Open to suggestions -

Pete

Lifeguy & bmkarnes,

I backed up both DVD's by using DVD Decrypter in the ISO read mode then picked it up with DVD Shrink and processed as usual - No sweat -

Cheers,

Pete

15. lifeguy

lifeguy Member

Scuba...wow, you had success doing that? I have tried that same thing. When I tried it, after decrypting Eternal Spotless with dvd decrypter in mode ISO read, which I was able to do successfully, when I bring the files to shrink, the program runs for about half a second and then quits altogether?? So, that method has not worked for me as of yet. This forum is great and I appreciate everyones response.

16. RenRen

RenRen Member

Hi, just wanted to let you guys know that I had the same exact problem with Sunshine...and found a FIX!

Well, I found that someone else had found one...

Basically, in shrink3.2, there is a directory on the film called Unreferenced Materials...and there is a small clip there that shows a logo, and then some punk jumping up...

Just go to compression setting on that one clip, and switch it to be just a regular "Still Image." Then the shrinkage will be possible.

It worked for me and I hope you experience the same. I love this movie.

17. lifeguy

lifeguy Member

RenRen:
    thanks for the tip!! Although I found another way to copy the movie, your suggestion seems to be working as well! I appreciate it!!

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Renren,

I had heard that too (but then promptly forgot it, age does that, Lol)

Shrink, then File, Open disc image - then process :)

Pete

19. lifeguy

lifeguy Member

Special thanks to Agent-K for helping me solve this difficult task. I was finally able to copy Eternal Sunshine by using a combination of two excellent programs: DVD Rebuilder and CinemaCraft Encoder. Although this process took about 4 hours, it certainly was worth it as now it looks as if the copy of the movie is actually brighter and crisper than the original!! Thanks again Agent-K, you as well as the others than responded to this thread have made my first experience with Afterdawn a memorable one!!
    ( I should mention that RenRens method of using Shrink, changing the compression setting on 'unreferenced material' to 'still image' worked like a charm as well! Take care all!!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey there lifeguy,

Now that you're doing well, that doesn't mean it's time for you to up and Ski-dattle - this is a give and take kind of a deal - we had fun helping you, now, the next time, you get to have some fun yourself :)

It's people like you who make this site work - You've seen how we work and you've seen that we had fun doing it -

Now it's your turn, stop back when you're free and help someone else - You'll have fun and, a chance to learn some more, (teaching is a learning experience too you know) the people you help will appreciate it and it will make you feel better :)

Then you'll have a chance to "Welcome" them into our little Club :D

We hope to see you around when you're NOT having problems to solve -

You'll find us hanging out, over there by the water cooler, under the potted palm, chewing the fat and trying to help the next Newbie with the weight of the burning world upon their shoulders -

We'll be looking for you -

Sea ya soon,

Pete