1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eurovox and confused

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by u46vef33, Dec 2, 2007.

1. u46vef33

u46vef33 Guest

I bought a Eurovox for parents as a Christmas present. It is a cable box. My parents live in Kilkenny a Ch*rus cable area. I spent pretty much the whole weekend trying to tune the thing in but with no success. That is it could not find a transponder even though I did a power scan and it did seem to pick up signals at rates of up to 98%. From reading a previous thread it doesn't look that simple i.e. just because you are in a cable area doesn't mean that the signal isn't mmds and if so you need a dvb-t box rather than a dvb-c box which would seem logical. Maybe I just need a better quality cable with no joins. Any one with any ideas?

2. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

The question is are you on MMDS, (aerial on your roof), or true cable.

3. u46vef33

u46vef33 Guest

The parents live in a cable area in Kilkenny, it has been cable there for the last 25 years. I know the MMDS mesh arial type as I had one in a house I rented in Dublin. I'm getting the parents to check with a neightbour if his box is a dvb-c rather than a dvb-t I should be alright. It may be down to the fact there is not a single run of cable i.e. the cable from the box outside goes into the attic where it is connected to a downlink cable which is connected to another cable in the sitting room to connect to the tv that is three lengths of cable joined together. I hope by running a single length of shielded cable things may improve.

4. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

If it is cable can you also check that it is digital and not analogue.

5. u46vef33

u46vef33 Guest

You mean change to digital WF 100? The current cable is just ordinary cable. But they advertise digital and there certainly aren't any MMDS dishes around the area.

6. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

What I am saying is are they on an analogue cable feed or a digital cable feed. You can check this on their bill and by how many channels they receive at present. What you said regards intermittent cable joints could be a problem, but also you say you got 98% signal strenght on some channels, this is also a problem as 98% is way too high, a good signal would be around 85%.

If you are cabling use a good quality CT100. But first check if it is digital or analogue that they have. Did you use 6875 as the symbol rate and what frequency range did you use?

7. u46vef33

u46vef33 Guest

Will check for sure that they have digital. I did full powerscans
    from 100mhz to 900mhz using three different symbol rates 6875 6952 and from what I can remember 6882. I also power scanned without selecting a symbol rate which if I'm right (possibly not) scans all available symbol rates. Will bring the box into the neighbours house and check their bill too (good idea) I know they have broadband so I would expect they would have a broadband/digital package. If recabling will use good quality sat cable.

8. dooter

dooter Member

think im as confused as yourself mate,just bought eurovox max serious 2008 do i need a sim card for it to work?

9. u46vef33

u46vef33 Guest

not you shouldn't need a sim card. You may need to enter new nagra keys or switch on the emmulator. I think its 1968 to manually do this
    there are other posts on here with more details.
    Just make sure you in an area where there is proper digital cable not
    mmds or mmds over cable. I know not very clear they don't exactly make thing easy for you. If you live in Dublin i.e. and N*L area its generally more straight forward.

10. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

@U46 who doesnt make it easy for you? We do try our best.

@dooter no you do not need a sim card. The EV works on N** cable and N** MMDS, also works on Ch**us cable and all VM cable areas. What problem do you have and we will try to help you out.

11. u46vef33

u46vef33 Guest

Cable companies don't advertise what technology they use. So the only places we get information from are web sites, other people who have done the same thing, or from trying it ourselves.
    Unfortunately forum information differs from Forum to forum.
    One example of this was me buying a dm 500-s and reading on numerous posts and on various forums that i need a seperate card reader to
    read a s*y card which days later I found was incorrect.
    The two forums I trust most at this stage are afterdawn and satkings
    which have a lot of info.

12. dooter

dooter Member

Cheers, I,ve been told by someone else here that i need it flashed,so i,m going out to get the cable i need to do that.Cant get the Eurovox box to move from standby mode.So you can be sure i'll get back to yous cause i have,nt a clue how to flash the box.

13. dooter

dooter Member

Scouser,if i got a USB to Serial 9 pin male adaptor would that work for me.

14. dooter

dooter Member

on my computer i only have the 15pin and 25 pin,so if i got the female to female RS232 null modem cable,plus a female adopter to fit the 25 pin on my computer would that be better again? Cheers

15. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  16. dooter

dooter Member

Scouser would the USB to serial 9pin male adapter be ok to get,i can go to the store now and get one.

17. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

You will need the USB to Serial 9 Pin Male Adaptor PLUS the NULL MODEM CABLE to use in conjunction with the USB Adatper

18. dooter

dooter Member

Evening all, I have the eurovox connected to the computer what is it i upload or download from ur files,then what do i do afterwards,many thanks.As i'm sure you have all guessed i'm totally ignorant to all this.

19. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

20. dooter

dooter Member

Have run the file i have the null modem cable connected to the port at the back of my computer with the 25 pins,so i just download the file now