1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eurovox Max problem

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by SteveEire, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eurogeek

Eurogeek Guest

Dear folks I have a EuroVox 2008, just installed it and connected it to my pc with 9 pin serial cable. Do I need to do anything else to view the files on the Vox. I was hoping it would appear as a device under 'my computer' but that is not the case. I seem unable to locate the box on my laptop.
    Any help would be appreciated

2. karljd

karljd Regular member

no you wont locate the eurovox as the connection is only for downloading software and firmware and also loading channel dumps, if your box has the latest firmware on it there is no need to connect to a pc.

3. Eurogeek

Eurogeek Guest

I understand the need 'not' to connect - but is it not possible to take a backup of the settings etc. I have spent some time setting the system up and would be a fool to neglect a backup from which I could restore the system.

Further in the case of updating the firmware there seems to be no instructions in the manual as to how to do that.

So I am a little concerned that I might find myself sometime in the future out on a limb if I do not take adequate steps now.

4. karljd

karljd Regular member

there is always help in here if you need it
    "further" have alook in here ithink you'll find all your looking for
    http://eko.4shared.com/ have a look in the eurovox documentation folder.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  5. Eurogeek

Eurogeek Guest

Cheers Karlid

6. karljd

karljd Regular member

no problem my pleasure

7. BenN74

BenN74 Member

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me how you tell the difference between a clone Eurovox Max V black and a genuine one? Is it even possible?
    I received one yesteday, it is working fine, picking up 33 Tp's and almost 200 ish channels.
    It had a user manual with it, but very poor quality, the pictures are impossible to make out on it, is this normal? Or is it an indication of a cloned box and a copied manual?
    The box it was in seems fine, high quality, and I am happy with the box, just don't want it to go kaput in a couple of months!
    Thanks!

8. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

you will know if it is a clone when you have to update it with the new firmware as it will brick your box

if you by from a reliable source you wont have to worry as they will give you a 12 months warranty

9. BenN74

BenN74 Member

Hi again,
    I've just downloaded the user maual available on the eko site, it's for a different model to mine, but is in full coulour, on glossy paper no doubt! I am now really worried I've been sold a clone, should my manual have ben full colour like that??
    If so should I be expecting this box to go pop shortly? What is the difference between clones and genuine?
    Thanks again folks!

10. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

That is an old manual for a different model so dont be worrying if you brought from a proper dealer you have nothing to worry about

11. BenN74

BenN74 Member

Hi again,
    I've just opened it to compare against the pictures of real and coned, and I'm still not sure, it seems to be a mixture of the two??
    Te tuner does only go back 8 slote not 12, the scart housing is silver, there are capacitors on the left hand board(although not green) which all indicat a genuine bix.
    However, the capacitors aren't green, the ribon connecting then is stranded and there is red paint on the screws, which are indications of a clone??
    I've taken a pic, can you have a look and give me your opionion please Fergus?

http://www.faceparty.com/pb/2211/images/benhatesmice_32648256.jpg

http://www.faceparty.com/pb/2211/images/benhatesmice_32648245.jpg

Thanks again.
    PS If it is a clone, how does that affect it? Will it still work fine? For how long?

12. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

yep you have a clone box once you see red paint on the screws it is a clone original dont have them

13. BenN74

BenN74 Member

Should I send it back then?
    When am I likely to need to re-flash the firmware?

14. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

It will work until new firmware comes out which you cannot use until they make a clone safe version for that box if you bought from a dealer get back on to him and tell him that he sold you a clone box and you want your money back

15. BenN74

BenN74 Member

Will do, Thank for you help!
    Just hope he doesn't make it difficult!

16. barm

barm Regular member

Would it be possible to name and shame the seller???
    May be useful to protect other people who may be buying.

17. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

Sorry you are not allowed to do that on here as it is not permitted

18. barm

barm Regular member

What a pity!

19. BenN74

BenN74 Member

Hmm yeah it is.
    I've e-mailed them, as there is no tel number and I'll see what happens.
    I suppose it's my own fault because I simply looked for the cheapest.
    But I started to worry when the extra letter in the box advising on ow to do a power scan etc added that there was ony a 30day warranty on hardware, no cover on any software.
    I bet I find it difficult to get this returned and my money back.
    If it's gonna work fine and show me Tv for a year or so I'd keep it, how reliable are the cloned one's?
    Exactly what are they anyway?
    Just a cheaper copy? Made where? Why do they not allow firmware updates?
    Sorry for all the questions, but i'm kinda i a quandry now over what to do!
    Thanks!

20. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

A clone is a copy of the genuine box only difference would be the firmware for the chipset the new loader with the built in firmware know when you are trying to put it on a clone so they have a built in clone killer so it kills that box but not a genuine one your box is as good as any of them except when the cable company decide to do something with the codes etc that is where the firmware updates comes in as your box will not have any

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.