1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eurovox Max V 2008 Signal Problems

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by djt0506, Jan 8, 2008.

1. djt0506

djt0506 Member

Hi everyone,

I have a eurovox max v 2008 box in my house. My problem is that during the day (say from 12pm-6pm) the picture keeps jumping and freezing and the "no signal" box appears on the screen. This generally happens once every 30 seconds or so. I am assuming that this problem is due to the demand on the line in my area so the signal is jumping up and down.
    However, this does not happen after, say, 6pm. The picture and sound is perfect. I may get the odd jump once every hour or so, but nothing major.

The signal strenght is averaging over all of the channels at around 82%. I have noticed though that when the picture jumps and the sound blips, the signal may go from 82% to 80% to 85% to 75% and then the "no signal" box comes appears for about 10 seconds (sometimes for 1 or 2 minutes at a go). I refuse to believe that there exists "no signal" on the line but rather the box cannot handle the massive fluctuations in the signal.

So (after all that...lol..sorry :) ) my question is: Would an amplifier on the line resolve or massively help resolve this issue? [I was thinking of purchasing the "Motorola Signal Booster 1GHZ Amplifier" as I have heard good review on it]

Any help on this is really appreciated (as I really need some advice on this problem).

Thanx to everyone who read/replied to my problem.

Dan

2. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

A booster may improve it alright but it may also cause the signal strenght to be too high which is just as bad unless it has a variable attenuator on it. BTW what firmware are you using?

3. djt0506

djt0506 Member

i dunno. why?
    how do i find that out?

4. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Press menu, config and system info, post what it says please.

5. djt0506

djt0506 Member

This is what was in System Info:

s/w ver: 1.0STC4 Sep 06 2007
    h/w ver: 2.0t K5
    Bootstrap: v001

6. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

You can update it with the latest firmware which is Kuro Beta 2. You will find all you need in the Eurovox Folder in Eamos FTA Library at the end of my post. You will need one or two leads dependent on if your pc has a 9 way serial connection.

You will need a null modem cable DB9F to DB9F.

Null modem info

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=L71BT&DOY=2m6

If your pc does not have a serial port you will need a USB to serial port adapter to use in conjunction with the null modem cable.

USB Adapter info

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Modu...erial Adaptor

These two cable links are only for reference as they can be purchased alot cheaper on fleabay.

Kuro Beta 2 is a UFL so all you need to do is press the download button, but I would advise you to upload a channel dump file from your EV first and then flash it back to your box after the Kuro update, that way you will have all your channels exactly the way they were before.

Kuro Beta 2 also has true widescreen and an onboard booster.

7. djt0506

djt0506 Member

Sorry I dont know what you mean by "You will find all you need in the Eurovox Folder in Eamos FTA Library at the end of my post."

I have read about some similar problems with the eurovox box in some other forums and they suggested what you have suggested (ie. to update my box with the new software). So im assuming that this new software works well then(?)

8. djt0506

djt0506 Member

i have an rs323 female connection on the back of the graphics card in my laptop. Will this connection do to hook the box up to the laptop or is this connection only for an external monitor?

9. djt0506

djt0506 Member

or else, i have a lead with an rs232 connection on one side that will connect into the back of the eurovox box and a 25 pin printer connection on the other end that will connect into the laptop. Can I use this cable to download/upload the info to the box/pc?

10. martin3

martin3 Member

Hi guys i was having very similar problems with my eurovox max untill i decided to turn my cable modem off assuming you are on broadband aswell. As soon as i did this all the problems went now the box never freezes at all, it would freeze and make strange noises and freeze regularly before i did this. I would suggest you try this before spendiing money on boosters etc again assuming you are running off a splitter for tv and broadband. Just a thought

11. djt0506

djt0506 Member

hi Martin,

I dont have cable broadband. I have ordered a null modem cable (rs232) from the UK. Only cost me €4 for a 20Metre one. So as soon as I receive it, ill hook it up to thye digibox and pc and update the software on the box.

Ill let ya know how it goes. If the box is then ok, you can maybe try doing the same. Then maybe you might be able to have the modem on at the same time as watchin the tv.

Dan

12. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

A 20 metre one where are you flashing it from, next door :)

13. martin3

martin3 Member

LOL you dont need a 20 metre null modem cable it just has to reach the pc it is for flashing i think your thinking of something else maybe the coax. i didnt know you could get a null cable that long:)

14. djt0506

djt0506 Member

lol sorry, i mean its 2metres long. havnt received it today so most likely will receive it tomorrow.

Do everyone that is reading this thread think that flashing my box with this new software will help my box maintain the signal?

I'll give you another example.... Yesterday before the Arsenal vs Tottenham match, the signal was grand, but during the match the signal kept going and the picture/sound would blip and the "no signal" box would appear on the screen. But then, about 30 minutes after the match, the signal was grand.