1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EVGA GTX 460 EE overheating problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Red.Eye.Shot, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Red.Eye.Shot

Red.Eye.Shot Member

Hi, I'm brand spankin new to these forums and was suggested by Estuansis, a good friend of mine if I had any PC questions.

Well here's my problem/question

I have an EVGA Gtx 460 External Exhaust 1024MB and when playing games on high/medium tweaked such as: Skyrim, BF3, LAnoire (medium for noire) and most other modern games it reaches very high temps that i record with GPU-Z and HWmonitor.

It idles at around 45-50 Celsius and at full load goes up to 98 to 99 and stays there until the load is off of it.

Now I haven't had more than one crash in the past year but I'm worried about the card dying prematurely. I want to purchase a non-EE 460 and SLI them but again, the temps are too high and to me its too risky having the extra exposure to heat on the card. Any tips or Aftermarket coolers anyone recommends?

I've re-applied thermal paste, but estuansis said he wants to take a look at how I did it, and to make sure its on properly. The fan IS working correctly, I've looked at it multiple times and its definitely audible since I have it running at 65% and it almost always jumps to 100% after gaming for about 15 minutes to a half hour

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Edit: I lowered the stock voltage which was 1.25 to 1.00 and now I can play skyrim and it only reaches a temp of 65 after about an hour of playing, I'll keep monitoring it, but I ran Furmark for 10 minutes and at full load and 100% fans it still got to 99 Celsius.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  2. Kannz

Kannz Regular member

I suggest sending it back to the manufacturer and have them repair it for you if its your first time then they should do it for free other than the shipping costs just go to their website and email their customer support. seems like a lot of their cards run hotter than others. If my evga even gets a little dust in it and doesn't dissipate the heat enough it really starts to chug. if you aren't able to RMA it to them you could always replace the crap stock fan they put on their cards take a look at these two links for replacement fans here and here

3. Red.Eye.Shot

Red.Eye.Shot Member

For the newegg link are all those fans compatible? because I read from several users that the screw placement is odd on the 460's and is only compatible with certain Aftermarket coolers.

4. Kannz

Kannz Regular member

it says what cards each cooler its compatible with in the details section of newegg on each item a person said this worked for him (he has the same card) here

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  5. Red.Eye.Shot

Red.Eye.Shot Member

6. Kannz

Kannz Regular member

nice says its really quiet :p

7. Red.Eye.Shot

Red.Eye.Shot Member

Yuppers :) Thanks for the help though guys! I'll be RMA'ing once i have money for shipping.

8. Red.Eye.Shot

Red.Eye.Shot Member

I actually won't need to RMA, when I took apart my GPU the first time I never thought to completely disassemble it. I took off the heatsink and found a giant coat of dust where the heatsink and the fan exhausts! So I took that off, did a deep clean on the fins of the fan and cleaned up the heatsink and now temps are only reaching 90 at 100% load for 10 minutes. Thats still a little high but I can live with it. Idle is reaching 36-42 :) So yeah, I don't have to RMA or buy an aftermarket cooler after all whoohoo! Skyrim time ^_^

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  9. Kannz

Kannz Regular member

nice ^^ congrats. aftermarket may still work at a later date though with a better thermal compound like arctic silver you could probably lower the temp at least 5-10 degrees and for sure lower the amount of noise coming out of your case. also make sure your cpu heatsink, harddrive bays, and fan bays are all clear of dust.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  10. Red.Eye.Shot

Red.Eye.Shot Member

yeah I plan on going aftermarket once I have a stable job :) thanks for the tips though man, its good to know people on here are lookin out for each other.