1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EvolutionX & Unknown BIOS

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by jojor, Dec 15, 2004.

1. jojor

jojor Member

Hi,
    I had my xbox modded at a local shop. I had no idea what they did and what chip they use. Now I am thiking of putting a new harddrive to play some of the big game on DVD9 (after using 2 types of DVDR+DL and burning coasters). I loaded up the X-Disk EvoX disk and it reported that my BIOS is unknown.
    Should I go ahead and flash my BIOS or should I just proceed without flashing my BIOS?
    Will the EvolutionX dashboard even work with my ModChip?

Regards
    CJ

2. sjchu

sjchu Regular member

From the info you write, the EvoX dash is working fine. The evox dash in CD is not up to date with the latest BIOS signature info. That is why it reported unknown BIOS. To get the EvoX to correctly identify your BIOS, you need to load the dash into a hdd and update the BIOS info section with the signatures (MD5 checksums) On mine, the evox on CD reported unknown of my X2 4983_06 BIOS. After I updated the info section in HDD, it reported correctly...

3. jojor

jojor Member

The CD comes with a Bios.bin, so should I just go ahead and flash it from the CD?

4. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Did you put in a new hdd or were you thinking about putting one in? Because it sounds like you're trying to flash a Xbox with a bios already.

5. shdwsfall

shdwsfall Regular member

The only reason you should flash your bios is if your current bios does not support large hard drives. If you are going to put in a hard drive with over 137 GB of space, then you may want to look into finding out what bios you have. More than likely you are find though. Worst case scenario is that you put in your new hard drive (if its over 137 GB) and the xbox doesnt see all of the space on it...if it only reports that your hard drive is 137 GB, then its time to update your bios to one that supports larger hard drives. But untill then, keep your bios you have! If its not broken, dont fix it...

6. jojor

jojor Member

I am going to put the Western Digital 120 WDD120JB. So that wouldn't need the BIOS update? But, the desktop README did mention that if I want to use Live then I need to update to one of the BIOS.

7. shdwsfall

shdwsfall Regular member

Can you remember what date you got your xbox modded? Yeah if you are going to get on live and dont know what the bios version is, then I would definatly upgrade...make sure you know what you are doing though. Read plenty of tutorials on how to flash via Evox. Also MAKE SURE if you are going to play on live with a modded xbox that the chip is off, and the hard drive is locked. Most hard drives come unlocked when you buy them. If you dont know how to lock it, download config magic, and put it in the apps section on your xbox. Then run it when the new hard drive is in. It will give you the option to lock your hard drive.