1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EVOX and GTA : SA problems

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by axehead77, Jun 15, 2005.

1. axehead77

axehead77 Member

So, I've read all of the various misinformation out there regarding the use of EVOX and Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas. Here's what I've found out.

1) If you turn off TSR mode, it works for just about everyone. Sucks if you want to use the trainer.

2) If you are running the pirated version, the region seems to make a difference. Set it to your proper region, and it'll stop doing the 'reboot' thing. Buy the software instead. There's an idea. ; )

I have no problems running GTA:SA from the Harddrive, as long as I use Unleash-X or Avalaunch. As soon as I boot into Evox, irrespective of what BIOS (M8, a variety of older X2 releases, new X2 releases, etc.) It does the same thing. Which is not work, if TSR mode is activated in any way. Works fine for me under EVOX, with the purchased copy (from disk or HD) as long as the region is set to 'default', which is a fix I picked up for 480p (and higher res) games on a much earlier thread and the [bold] TSR is off. [/bold]

I do not know if the patched .xbe floating around fixes this, as I have a retail copy (NTSC) and likely shouldn't need it.

-Axe

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  2. axehead77

axehead77 Member

OK, there appears to be a patch out there for the Dagger release of GTA:SA. However, for those with the original, this doesn't help.

I'll see if the default.xbe within that "Region fix" for the Dagger release is the cure. No amount of fiddling with the settings is so far.

3. axehead77

axehead77 Member

No dice.

It would likely work if I had a PAL Xbox, but the region patch does nothing for me. Just the standard 'reboot to dash'.

So far the only real reliable fix is to insure that you are not using the TSR, in either debug or normal modes. IGR seems to make no difference.

I've installed an additional XBOX to a standard TV and I'll be trying it with a unit that supports 480p but not 16x9, to see where the issue lies.

BTW: 16x9 rox!

-Axe

4. axehead77

axehead77 Member

Ok, last one on this before I bag it. Of the three XBoxes I've tested (All running Xenium ICE, two 1.0's, 1 1.6, various HD sizes, all configured the same) the 1.6 provides different results. Sorry to be unclear, but I'm getting tired of fiddling with this and other scene sites *insisting* that all I have to do is set my region to Auto or NTSC, and that it'll run with the TSR on. It won't. It's that simple. There's got to be something else here.

Sample machine:
    V1.0
    Xenium ICE
    M8 Bios
    Evox 3935
    F: at 137GB, G: takes rest- 400 GB HD- Unlocked
    Stock DVD drive
    Using stock Disk, burned to HD.
    Advanced AV Pack, running component video.

5. BSS

BSS Guest

I am using EvoX and the NTSC Retail version ripped to my Hard Drive. All I had to do was change my region to NTSC and not Default and it worked fine with TSR on, for me as well.

6. axehead77

axehead77 Member

Please provide some specs about your system. What kind of display are you outputting to? Version of your XBOX and what BIOS?

Thanks.

7. axehead77

axehead77 Member

OK, more info: (cut from other sources)

Apparently another user created a no-region patch for the XBE file. Didn't work for me after trying it, nor did it work for the person below, with their config. I am running an almost exact setup. The BIOS and version interest me the most in this instance.

Region Auto
    IGR OFF

Xbox 1.0

Original Xecuter Chip Loading PBL M8+ BIOS

Barracuda 120Gig 7200RPM

Evox 3935

8. axehead77

axehead77 Member

Another piece of the puzzle, which I am unable to confirm, is the quote that [bold] there are multiple US Releases and only one is able to work with the TSR on[/bold]. I'm some what doubtful, as I currently have 3 different .XBE's, not including the original disk and none of them allow me to use GTA with the TSR on, irrespective of my region settings.

9. wazza123

wazza123 Guest

i tried burning gta san andreas to my hard drive but the screen stays black and nothing happens.
    dont no what is really in my system,
    it says xecuter 2,
    and i think evo x if that helps, mod chip and 120gig hard drive.
    and only had problems with v8 supercars 2 that does the same

10. chronopro

chronopro Member

Wow. I have a very similar problem to wazza above me. I put GTA-SA on my hard drive and I went to play it through my evo-x dashboard. When I select the game, though, the menu fades as if it were about to play it, but then it just goes back to the main menu of the dashboard. I deleted and re-copied it, but it still doesn't work. Does anyone know what the problem is, or how I can fix this? I'm sure I copied it with 0 errors.

11. Hugor

Hugor Member

Hi,

I'm running the Evox Dashboard and have the original GTA San Andreas.

When I run from the original CD, sometimes I can get it to play with splotchy sound, other times it just hangs after pressing start at the splash screen.

Then I run from a copy on my HD, it says "There is a problem with the disk. It may be dirty or damaged."

Is this what other people are getting? I have tried the NTSC and other fixes listed above, but still no luck (and no change in behaviour, which makes me think my problem is something different entirely).

12. Logik666

Logik666 Regular member

Hugor, it sound like you just have a bad disk.

13. Logik666

Logik666 Regular member

if you bot it be sure to return it.

14. Ferdnand

Ferdnand Guest

I'm new to this evox but i do have a modded box and i read a lot of forum notes. I must say my xbox works great after i made one change of the settings of my "system settings" region. changed my region to ntsc. since that is what i watch and have far as everthing. After changing this it worked like a charm and also it worked on a softmodded xbox that i have also.. after making the changes...

15. Incy

Incy Member

i figured it out!! hahahaha when i used the regular AV cables it would boot up just fine after copyin it to my hdd (retail version not download) and switchin to NTSC. BUT when i used my advanced AV cables it doesnt, period, on my EvoX dash. thats why you are gettin those results. if you want HD with San Andreas on your modded xbox you may just have to use a different Dash

also please note (and this goes for everyone reading this, just to keep things clear) when i'm talking about (and most other ppl) a Harddrive the apprievation is "HDD". and "HD" is High Definition

Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
  16. Phixion

Phixion Member

I use these settings for GTA:SA

My settings in evox.ini
    DebugTSR = No
    TSR_Type = 1
    GameRegion = 1

My settings in EvoX Dash
    Game Region is set to Auto.
    TSR is set to Normal.
    In Game Reset in set to Yes.

The game works 100% with the ntsc default.xbe with these settings on my xbox.If the game don´t start,make sure that your time and date is correct.Use MS dash to correct it.If that doesn´t help either make sure that your video setting is set to Normal in Ms dash....Not Wide Screen or Letterbox.

My xbox specs:
    Xbox V1.6
    SmartXX V2
    120Gb Hdd

Sorry if there´s any typos.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  17. m3rcc

m3rcc Member

I can't see anywhere where the settings "Game Region" or "TSR" is?! Is my evox to old? It's Kernel 1.00.48xx .... old huh? :) Is there a way around this?

18. Phixion

Phixion Member

Hmm.I dont know.
    Have you checked the evox.ini file?
    But yet again..I dont know if there is a evox.ini file for that evox version..
    Maybe it´s possible to install an "updated" version of evox??

19. guinnyss

guinnyss Guest

im try that setting in a few.. whats TSR?

20. guinnyss

guinnyss Guest

Phixion

that worked like a CHARM hehehe