1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exactly how does the Hauppauge -150 card work

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by rnsmithad, Oct 27, 2005.

1. T_Outlaw

T_Outlaw Member

rnsmithad..... Since Nero 6 worked previously, and I was in your situation, I would reinstall Nero 6. Moonrocks has the right idea, however, I believe that with Nero 7 (which I have loaded in my second computer.. this one has Nero 6) you also have to go to Microsoft and download Direct X 9.0a to use with Nero 7. The address is www.microsoft.com/directx/default.asp You did not mention if your work was done with the Hauppauge or the ADVC-110, however, reading between the lines and your email it appears to be Hauppauge. This will be my last email for awhile as I see by my virus scanner that afterdawn is trying to upload some spyware onto this computer as I speak to you. It won't get there or on.... CIAO.... Texas Outlaw

2. dtow

dtow Member

You know you all missed the very obvious first step. USE Good cable coax, well shielded! The same for audio, good quality connectors. I bet anything that will make a noticeable difference. You can also get rid of RF (Radio Frequency) that is passing through coaxial cable and cordswith poor shielding by making loops, coils, ( different for different thing)that are really filtering out the RF. I enjoyed reading this thread.

Dtow N0JTQ

3. Mez

Mez Active member

I have read this thread with gusto! I am looking to make a video, save some VHS tapes and maybe repair some “broken AVI files. I am brand spanking new to analog->digital conversions but expert in some associated areas. T_outlaw, most importantly, I have not gotten any spyware warnings as I read this thread. I am triple teamed (fire wall, AV with spy ware ON and a MS spyware. Maybe it is just “bouncing off” with out giving me warnings. The firewall does that the others warn you just incase the suspected intrusion is a wanted activity. Could the intrusion have been from a different source? I would figure this is the last place you would want to attempt to launch spyware. You need to remember the information you are kindly giving us is quite “heavy”. I was reading but not fully comprehending what you were saying myself even after the second read.

Rnsmithad, you need to read things through more carefully. If there is a world like bitrate that you do not know and is in blue and underlined you need to “click on it”. That will take you to the definition. (That is a neat trick; I wonder how they do that!) It is unfair to waist someone else’s time when you can help yourself.

What software comes with the Canopus and the Hauppauge 150? I just purchased an ATI TV/analog converter. The hardware looks good for the money and has both audio inputs but it came with no editing or authoring software. I will try to return it and buy something with good bundled software. The software when purchased alone cost the same as the hardware and software.

I used (10 years ago) to have a video booster. A box that amplified the composite video signal some. The quality of the copy using “the box” was somewhere between the original and what it would be like unamplified. Do any of the cards amplify the signals?

WinDV was mentioned as free are there any other freebees out there that might be useful?

4. rnsmithad

rnsmithad Regular member

Mez-

Yes, I do click on the underlined blue links, but the explanations there don't always go deep enough. For instance, I know what a bitrate is, but don't know the lowest acceptable bitrate to get a good or quality movie -- and what is the difference in quality between a 2000-4000-6000 bitrate and can I get 3 hours of VHS tapes on a DVD at an acceptable bitrate that would give me a decent playback on a DVD and what would that bitrate be -- that is the kind of information I was after (and the bitrate calculator suggested by rebootjim in another thread helped me out a lot there). Anyway, enough of that.

Regrading your questions, I have been playing with the Hauppauge card, and have been getting better results than when I first hooked it up, after playing with the cables some (VCR on one of room and the PC on the other -- not a permanent situation).

The Hauppauge came with a bunch of software on a CD -- the WINTV2000 application that you use to capture the video, a WINTV32 for just watching TV input, a TV scheduler for scheduling recording of TV programs, a Remote Control (which I haven't used), an InfraRed cable with receiver/transmitter to be used with the Remote Control, a nano MPG editor that I am not terribly impressed with after seeing and trying fome of the other video editing applications (TMPGEnc, VideoReDo, DVDLab, Womble MPEG Video Wizard) and Ulead's DVD MovieFactory (which I have not tried).

The manual is small, not very professionally done, and not terribly good (since I am a detail guy) -- and the screens in the manual do not match the screens that appear on your desktop, although most of the functions are still there and operate the same. The manual on the Hauppauge site is a little better, but still not totally up-to-date in sync with the software screens.

Their web site appears to have just about everything that is on the CD in a downloadable form, so you can get updates there. But beware, I downloaded an updated version of the WinTV2000 over the weekend, and now my snapshot captures are upside down -- and I don't see any adjustment for that yet.

The captures from a VHS tape are pretty darn good, that is, before I apparently introduced a ground loop by adding a TV co-ax cable to my jerry-rigged cabling. I initially was not particularly impressed with the picture quality at first, but the more I played with the cables, the better the picture became.

(I have gotten side-tracked with a Nero 7 burning problem, trying to burn the Hauppauge-created MPG files. It is not a Hauppauge problem because I burned several DVDs last week, but upgraded to Nero 7 over the weekend, and now I can't burn DVD-Rs, although DVD+Rs burn OK.)

The operation, after you read the manual and play with it for a few hours, or a couple of days, is relatively simple. It has a few options I have not figured out yet, the the Record operation is pretty easy to perform once you get the hang of it.

Regarding the Canopus shipping fiasco, I ordered the external ADVC-110 capture device 2 weeks ago Monday, and just got it yesterday -- and all I have done so far is open the box. However, I can say that nothing comes with it, except a fireware cable (6 pin, I believe) and a small manual, which looks pretty good -- but no software or anything else.

No amplification on any of these devices that I know of.

5. Mez

Mez Active member

OK I can see your confusion on the bitrate. It is bits per second which might not mean much to you. I don't really know for sure but I will venture a guess. It is like what speed is best for recording a tape. If there was such a thing there would not be settings (slow medium or fast). The idea is the faster the recording speed or bigger bitrate the higher quality picture because you save more information per minute but use more media. Using a high bitrate will not improve a tape that was recorded at the slow tape saving speed. The copy can only be as good as the master. There is no magic number or there would not be a setting. You need to decide for your self what speed/bitrate you will use. Experiment to see what works for you.You will likely choose a high bitrate for copying high quality tapes and a lower one for poorer quality tapes.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Nobody I know actually uses WinTV2000 for anything. Find yourself a good PVR program, such as gbpvr.
    Nero is NOT the thing to use when authoring these recordings (from a 150). Nanopeg sucks.
    Use any editor you like, then author the recordings properly, in the supplied Ulead, or something good like DVDLab Pro.
    Use Nero to burn only.

PQ can be adjusted many ways with a PVR-150.
    Start by getting the Hauppauge Tweak tool from http://www.cask-of-amontillado.com
    Read about how to tweak with it at www.shspvr.com too.

I use 6000kbps VBR for almost everything. That's a good bitrate for getting 2 hours of stuff per disk, or 3 once edited.
    For copying tapes, use the bitrate calc to figure out how much you need to use, to fit the full tape onto a full disk.

7. Mez

Mez Active member

What are the better editing programs? I heard good things about Ulead's DVD MovieFactory.

8. T_Outlaw

T_Outlaw Member

mez... The spyware cannot get into my computer because of the programs protecting same. For your information, I do have a program installed that tells me time, date and identifies the program. In this case it was "fastclick". I am assuming it is the program which asks to allow sponsor advertising. This is strictly BS. You can stop the action with your mouse. I don't see where there is any problem with bitrate. Just go to the table and select the number of minutes involved. The higher the time the lower the bitrate. But there should be a certain point to assure clarity. I like 120 minutes as a maximum. As far as Canopus ADVC unit is concerned, there is no software. Use WinDV or DVIO. Both are simple solutions to transfer the VCR images as AVI to the hard drive. WinDV is certainly the best because you can actually monitor images being converted. In over 300 tapes transferred, I have never had a dropped frame. After the transfer to the hard drive I follow up with Canopus ProCoder then DVD-Lab. I firmly believe this is the best, easiest and quickest way to transfer from analog to DVD.

9. rnsmithad

rnsmithad Regular member

Yes, that Fastclick program sucks. As of a few weeks ago, that darned thing started showing up every time I re-access AfterDawn -- and it triggers something in windows, causing a pop-up asking me to insert my Office Products 2000 disc, to get some support coding off of that disc. I have misplaced that disc, because I used it so long ago, and I have to do 6-8 cancels to get rid of all of the pop-ups. I complained to AfterDawn about it, but it was as bad as talking to Nero support -- questions go in and nothing ever comes back.

But back to the Hauppauge device, my first text came out well, well sort of well -- just using Movie Maker 2, which popped up when I made the firewire connection, I was able to read in 5 minutes of a TV channel -- but as everybody warned me, the files are huge.

With my first test, I captured a 5 minute file -- which turned out to be 75 MB, but then things got worse. First, I reduced the file to 1 minute (15 MB) and then with no other changes, I asked Movie Maker to save the file as a DV-AVI (NTSC) file. Well 10 minutes and 215 MB later, I have a DV-AVI file ready to burn with NeroVision (which as some of you know that has been following my Nero 6-to-Nero 7 thread, I can no longer burn DVD-Rs with Nero 9 -- another story).

Anyway, you gotta be kidding me aren't you: if a 1 minute 15 MB file takes 10 minutes to render and after consumes 15 times the space -- which would mean a 100 minute file would be 1.5 GB and would take 1000 (16.6 hours) and would take up 21 GB of storage. Tell me it ain't so.

By the way, who makes the WinDV or DVIO software. Does it do anything other than capture video.

10. T_Outlaw

T_Outlaw Member

rnsmithad.... The WinDV program is freeware. Was constructed by a Czech. Just google it for more info. Believe it's about 1,000-bytes in length. DVIO is much smaller. The program function basically is to get analog info onto the HD in the AVI format. As I stated previously, the best, simplest and easiest way to transfer analog is via the Canopus ADVC, then use Canopus Procoder, then DVD-Lab. The quality will rival your original analog tape. Also, as stated previously, Beta tape transfers will be better than VHS because it was and is a better medium. Quit worrying about HD space... if you have an extra HD, use it. The transfers and muxings are faster and cleaner. The same theory applies to DVD transfers. If Rebootjim or Minion gives you advice, take it and use it to the fullest extent possible. They both know from which they speak.... This will be easier on your father-in-law. By the way, don't forget to download the guides as referenced by Rebootjim. I take it father-in-law may not be up to speed on computers, and the written word is better than the spoken word especially for us "old" geezers.... Hope your transfers all turn out well..... best of luck... Texas Outlaw

11. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

For editing, start with something simple.
    VideoReDo is probably the easiest to use.
    Womble Mpeg-wizard is also good, though quirky if you're not used to it.
    There are free ones, such as Cuttermaran, but it requires elementary streams, which you can get by demuxing your recordings using PVAStrumento.
    These are simple editors, cutting out portions of video (commercials for example), and are all you really need at first.
    Later, if you want to introduce fades and effects, you can look at more advanced (and more expensive) software.

Author in Ulead at first, until you understand the process, then move up to something like DVDLab (Pro).

12. rnsmithad

rnsmithad Regular member

I think I asked this question before, but never got an answer. When burning a DVD, why do programs like DVDLab or TMPGEnc Author even mention the option of burning the DVD with Nero.

Is there a difference in burning a DVD in Nero, TMPGEnc, DVDLab -- there must be -- there must be something different -- so what is it, given that the file is already in MPEG format.

13. Mez

Mez Active member

T_outlaw, sorry about the comment about Fastclick. If it bounces off you really do not know. I had something like thay try to bit me 6 months ago. I went balistic and after reaming all copable parties I tightened my security. I think we all need to raise hell. It is an insult to this community that some weasel marketing firm tries to pull a stunt like that on us.

I came across this review of what "they" claim to be the top 10 video editing software.
    http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/?ttreng=1&ttrkey=powerdirector

rnsmithad, you need to looking at an extra HD which is at least 200 GB. You should be able to pick on up on the web for abt $100. You ought to be listening to T_outlaw and use the canopus since you already bought it. I do not always follow sound advice but if I don't and make a mess I keep my mouth shut until after I have had time to do it the right way.

By the way this is a great thread!

14. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Nobody likes to mention anyone elses software, unless they get a kick back from it.

Yes. There's a huge difference in how the video is authored, and what burning engine is used. DVDLab has a very basic burner, sort of an afterthought, and not recommended to burn with. Nero is still the best burning software, although their editing and authoring software is questionable.
    Tmpgenc is not burning software, it's an encoder, and TDA is an authoring software.
    Some programs just do one thing, and do it extremely well.
    In this case, Authoring with DVDLab (Pro), and burning with Nero are the choices I use.

FWIW, I wouldn't ever use ANY of the programs mentioned in that top 10, but then again, the stuff I use cost more too, but it's dedicated, not all-in-one junk.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  15. rnsmithad

rnsmithad Regular member

Mez, yes, I saw that review a while back.

I was a little worried, skeptical because of the positioning of the Pinnacle software. I gotta say that I have heard not very good things about that software. On the other hand, I haven't heard anyone say anything, good or bad, about PowerDirector.

I'm looking at the gbpvr program recommended by rebootjim. Are there other alternatives to WinTV2000 that I should look at.

16. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

The only other freebies are Meedio (or GotAllMedia, I forget which), and MediaPortal.
    The only other ones worth considering really, are SageTV and BeyondTV, but they cost money that just isn't worth it. They have nothing that gbpvr doesn't already have, and can't do some things that it can.
    Mediaportal is a huge resource hog, so unless you've got the system to run it, and that includes a higher end DX9 video card, don't bother. Beyond is difficult to set up, as it want's to transcode everything to .wmv for some unknown reason, and support for the two pay ones isn't great, except for other users in the forums. Forget support for Mediaportal. Gbpvr has superb support, directly from the author, and plenty of users in the forums.

17. Mez

Mez Active member

I am back trying to make a descent digital version of a cam corder tape. I did not follow advice in what to buy after I asked for it. I purchased an ATI capture card on sale that looked like it fit the bill. I saved about 60% of the cost but the product is not usable for me. Even though it does have an audio input jack it does not process the audio you have a jumper cable to pipe it to your sound card. I read enought about syncronization to not want to play with that. I would like to produce a a file that has both audio and video. I am also hoping the file will look as good as if I pipe the camcorder output to TV. What I have is not even close and there does not seem to be any way to tweek it. I will admit I threw my money away. My cam corder stores its image on a 8mm tap and the output is the old 2 audio and one composite video.

If I want to do this right the easy way for $250 or less what should I buy?

Thanks!

18. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

The Hauppauge PVR-150. Make sure you get the one with the composite inputs (there's a couple of different models), and you can go directly from VHS (or camcorder) to the card.
    Less than $100, and it'll probably save you some time, as well as headaches, wrinkles and hair loss.
    Set the capture settings (in WinTV2000) so the capture bitrate is about 5000kbps. This will get you (roughly) 2 hours per DVDR.
    Once authored, you can always use DVDShrink on it, if it's just a bit large, and still retain about the best quality you can expect from an 8mm tape.

19. crf450r

crf450r Member

i just ordered pvr-150 mce
    the one with the 2 rca audio jacks
    the problem i just discovered is it seems to require winxp mce
    i dont have this mce version i have xp pro
    will this card still capture without the mce version
    the tuner card is of little use to me so if thats all i loose
    then thats ok
    but if i cant capture without mce then this is useless
    i dont want to buy win xp mce just to make a capture card work
    it also looks like it doesnt come with any software
    anyone with info please let me know how bad it is
    thanks

20. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

The "mce" version works under regular windows...no worries.
    Download the full install disk from http://www.shspvr.com/smf/index.php?board=51.0
    Unzip to your hard drive.
    Put the card in the computer.
    When prompted for the installation CD, browse to the unzipped file folder you just made.
    Install and enjoy :D