1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exchange RAM, buy new cpu cooler, or...

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Xplorer4, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

So for 2 years now, I have used a Thermalright "Limited Edition" TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C. cpu cooler with a scythe s-flex 21F xlfan atached on the front side of the cooler between it and the ram slots. However I got some corsair vengance ram sticks for x-mas and these cause half of my problem(due to the tall heatsinks). The other half of the problem is the cpu socket seems to have moved closer to the ram slots(or vice versa however you decide to look at it) andthe fan can no longer sit on the front side of the cooler. Even with shorter heatsnks I question just weather or not the fan would fit.

So I have a few options, and wanted oppinions on the matter. I could suck it up and use the stock hsf, I hear the newer stocks hsf for Sandy/Ivy Bridge are a step up then previous generations and despite not overclocking in the past, I never felt content with the stock hsf. I could try putting the fan on the backside to try to pull heat from the heatsink rather then push the intake air inside. I could exchange tre ram possibly, but as I said even if I got an 8GB kit with basic heatsinks, like on the corsair xms series, I am not sure it would fit on the front side. Lastly I might be able to spring for a n aftermarket cooler. In that case I am not surebwhat hsf are good these days for the like of an i7 2500K. I hear the Ks push 4Ghz easy so I think Inwould like to go for it this time around as I couldnt quite spring for a 2011 setup like I would have liked going for a tic instead of a stock but thats beside the point. So, sorry to ramble on but thoughts on the dilemma?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.