1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

expanding range of wireless network

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by adawn101, Sep 2, 2007.

1. adawn101

adawn101 Member

I am trying to expand the range of a wireless network for a friend's business. There is currently a netgear MR814V2 router. They got a Linksys Wireless-G range expander(WRE54G ver3). This expanded the range to a degree that they were just satisfied. They have multiple rooms in a line, about 20 rooms in total in the shape of an "L". (7 rooms at the horizontal part of the "L" and 12 rooms on the vertical part of the "L". The rooms all have a thick concrete walls in between them. I put the range expander in the "attic" above one of these rooms. Some of the rooms on the vertical end were unable to pick up internet. The router is at the end of the horizontal part of the "L".
    The problem that arises is that the router must be restarted everytime the internet on a laptop is used. This obviously is not good. Can anyone suggest how I may fix this, or something different I can try? Also, can I get another wireless router and pick up the signal from the original router. If this is possible, I could probably buy the routers at a cheaper price since the expander cost about $100. If I did this, would I get the same problem about having to restart the router everytime someone tried to connect to the internet.

2. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

In cases like this I usualy set up an access point here are some http://amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_i_1/1...s point&rh=i:aps,k:access point,i:electronics You have your main WIFI router in one place then place the acess point where the signal starts to become poor. THis will increase your coverage. The computers way out of range of the main router will connect through the access point. THat is of cource there are more out of range of the access point, in that case I install another one.

Concrete can cause a little problem with the signal getting through but not much resistance. Make sure you are using a wireless G router and access point if needed. In the setup you mentioned here is what I would do. I would Place the main router as close as you can (in the middle) of the long hallway (most of the time there is a set determined spot to place this). Get your notebook to link up to it (assuming you have one) Now walk down the hallway and see where the connection becomes poor (if anywhere). This is where you want to place the access point.

You mentioned you can get into the attic. Im sure they dont want to see the box at all so you will have to put this into the attic over that spot. Remember find the spot first at floor level before deciding where to place in the attic. THink of a way to find that exact spot in the attic (my meathod is my assitant knocking on the celing from below) You will get a completly different result if you measure the distance in the attic and may not cover the problem areas. One thing an access point needs is power so you will need to get it there as well. Hope you have a drill.

I get an extention cord, drill a hole so it can fit through the celing in the server room. In your case lets hope concrete is not right above that celing. Plug it up in the server room. Zip tie it to what ever you can or get screw in clamps to make it look good. Of course run the other side of the extention cord to the access point. This will give you the ability to power cycle it (by unpluging it) if you ever need to and save a trip to the attic.

Remember to configure it before you put it in the attic. I do not do this wirelessly. I use a network cable from access point to PC. That way you know your working on the right piece of equipment.

As far as having to restart the router due to others loggin on is a bit odd. Check the FAQ on the web for your product. I do not know why the expander failed. There may be a bad hardware issue on your hands.

I like to use D-Link when doing stuff like this. They seem to reach out further. When looking at the list I poted make sure ou look up the product on the web to fully understand its features. Some access points only add wireless to an exsisting non wireless router and will not act as a repeater. however you can still use those modles you will just need some cable to run from the main router to the access point in the attic but then your looking at a little more cost. Most will act as a repeater (meaning you will not need to run any wire at all except the power cord). It is always best to stick with the same brand when doing stuff like this. And once again make sure it is a wireless G modle.

Hope this helps.

-Del

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007